Friday, June 4, 2010

Danglehorn



As performed by:

Joseph R. Petrolawicz as Matriarch
Kristen Wheeler as Ka
Jason Walsh as Ra

and directed by,

Brett Tribe

with costumes designed by

Anna Kovach




Scene 1

SET: Groves of the Younglings

LIGHTS UP

Enter MATRIARCH. She is a giant elephant with one broken tusk.

MATRIARCH
Morning! Good morning, Younglings, how are we all doing today? This morning, we are going to continue learning the Ancient Branches of the Elephants. I hope you all continued to practice reciting them last night at your groves. It is very important that you are able to read the leaves as they have been handed down from the Past Matriarchs who led the family before me. They have kept us safe in the Valley for generations, and will guide our family for generations to come. Now, where did we leave off...? Ah yes, that’s right, Trunk 2, Branch 5, Leaf 342: No Elephant may, at any time, and without question of season or cycle of the Moon...

Wait a minute...

Not a whole minute...

Have any of you seen Ka? She promised to be here when the lesson started. Ka! Where are you?! I knew I shouldn’t have let her go walking this morning. She’s probably as far as the Silent Grove by now, no way she’ll hear me call.

Well, I guess it’s about time you Younglings learned to trumpet.

You will need to be loud, or Ka will never hear you, okay? But be careful, if we trumpet too long, the tigers will find their way over the mountains, and this Valley will no longer be safe for us. When you see me raise my trunk, you all need to be quiet, so the tigers can’t figure out the direction. Ready? Now follow me.

(Trumpets)

(Waits)

That Ka. How far off has she gone. Let’s try it again, and this time, be louder.

(Trumpets)

Enter KA. She is a young elephant.

KA
Yes, Matriarch?

MATRIARCH
Where have you been? You are missing your lessons.

KA
I’m sorry, Matriarch, I was down by the Cold River. I didn’t hear you Trumpet for the Leaves to start..

MATRIARCH
Didn’t you see the Sun above the Southernmost Mountain?

KA
I was beneath the trees, I couldn’t see the sky, Matriarch, I’m sorry.

MATRIARCH
Well next time, you’d better pay a little more attention. I want you able to read this whole Grove before the Bulls return.

KA
Oh, I don’t care about the Leaves. I don’t care about the Branches, and I certainly don’t care about the Trunks.

MATRIARCH
Don’t care about the Leaves? Why, how could you say such a thing? The Leaves have guided the Elephants through the darkest of times. Without them, how long could the Past Matriarchs sleep beneath the Groves they chose?

KA
I know, I know, I know, and if I don’t recite the Branches to the letter, the fruits won’t grow, the sun won’t rise, and the water holes will dry up...

MATRIARCH
And the Bulls will not visit from the Fields. One day you will be Matriarch over this entire Valley, and you will need to read every one of these leaves to lead the family to water all year. Otherwise, the Tigers will find it before you. Now sit down with the others and read along with me.

KA
Yes, Matriarch.

MATRIARCH
Trunk 3, Branch 6, Leaf 37.

I don’t hear you reciting!

Trunk 3, Branch 12, Leave 42: Any Elephant who answers the call of the Trumpet shall be given free vote in the Elephant Council, regardless of her family, status, or age.

Trunk 3, Branch 9, Leaf 54. When an Elephant or herd should occupy a Grove and sees fit not to vacate, refuses to relocate, and makes it generally known they will not move along to another grazing ground. They cannot be forced to vacate without the consent of a Council of Summoned Elephants.

KA gets up and begins to mock the motions of MATRIARCH. This continues until the audience makes enough noise to catch her attention. Ka pretends it isn’t her.

MATRIARCH
What in the name of the Past Matriarchs do you think you’re doing? I told each and every one of you to be reading your Leaves. Ka, what are you making them do?

KA
Nothing, Matriarch.

MATRIARCH
Nothing? You’re always up to nothing, but somehow, something always seems to happen!

MATRIARCH grabs KA by the ear and pulls her back up on stage.

MATRIARCH
Now sit right here with me for the rest of the lesson, and I’d better not see you move. Do you understand?

KA
Yes, Matriarch.

MATRIARCH
Good. Now, where was I? Ah yes, Trunk 2, Branch 5, Leaf 252...

Trumpeting OS.

KA
What was that?

MATRIARCH
The sound of an elephant not doing what she was told.

Louder Commotion OS.

KA
My Amita is coming down the trail. Let’s go see what she’s trumpeting about!

MATRIARCH
This is not time for visiting, Ka, it is time to be learning now get back where I put you.

KA
They sound like something is wrong.

MATRIARCH
It’s nothing, I’m sure. You all sit right here and recite your Branches to yourselves. If I hear a single snuffle when I come back, there will be a whack from my tusk. Do I make myself clear? Ka?

KA
Yes, Matriarch.

MATRIARCH exits. KA is quiet a few moments.

KA
I hate reciting the Branches! It’s so boring. I mean, What good does it even do? When was the last time a Council of Elephants was even summoned? It’s a beautiful day, we could walking in the Cold River or rolling in the mud. Let’s sneak out of here while my mother is away. I bet she wouldn’t even notice. She’d just go on and on, Trunk 6, Branch 2, Leaf 7... Trunk 4, Branch 2, Leaf 41. Come on, let’s go!

MATRIARCH enters, nearly collides with KA

MATRIARCH
Ka! What are you doing out of your leaves?

KA
Sorry Matriarch.

MATRIARCH
Now listen very carefully. Strange creatures have entered the Valley. I’m walking to the Eastern Pass to let them know we live here. Your Amita is going to take the class back to her Groves to continue your reading.

KA
What’s going on?

MATRIARCH
It’s nothing for you to worry about. Just sit here and be good, or you’ll feel my tusk when I get back.

KA
We should summon the Bulls.

MATRIARCH
This time of year, the Bulls will be far to the south, grazing and fighting on the Grasslands. They will be no help to us now.

KA
Can I come with you?

MATRIARCH
No, I want you to wait here with the others. I’ll send word as soon as it’s time for you to leave. Now take the Younglings over to the Groves of your Amita.

Exit MATRIARCH.

KA
I’m not going with my Amita. Is she out of her mind? Have you heard the stories? Birds flying North talk of strange creatures, as big as a Hippopotamus and twice as mean. They have a trunk made of rock. They’re supposed to be the angriest and meanest of creatures, and they’re coming this way!

MATRIARCH (OS)
Ka! Take the Younglings to your Amita!

KA
Yes, Matriarch! Come on, let’s go.

Exit KA

LIGHTS DOWN

Go to Scene 2

Adapted by the playwright to a beloved book for 3rd to 5th grade readers. Illustrated by Jason Cleveland. Buy "Danglehorn" today from printisbetter.com



No comments:

Post a Comment