Monday, February 9, 2015

Man-In-Sea



LINK
What are you making all this noise about?

ED
They ran the article about me! I was in the newspaper, Dad! Look!

LINK
This is what they call news these days? “Air Minded Dog Distinguishes Hum of Owner’s Plane From Others Even at High Altitude.”

ED
Ms. Clayton thinks it’ll help sales on the trainer.

LINK
That’s what happens when they start letting women in the field. We get this cutsie editorializing.

ED
Come on, Dad, it’s a great story!

LINK
Oh, I know, that’s just what we need, something to distract us. Have you taken a look around, Ed? Businesses are closing down all around us. The empty buildings look like skeletons. Will this new breed of yellow journalists ever take to task the men who allowed this to happen?

ED
Can’t you even be happy for me now?

LINK
The factory is closing tomorrow.

ED
We can’t close!

LINK
People without jobs can’t afford to go to the movies. There isn’t much need for a theater organ if there isn’t a theater. We haven’t made a sale in three months.

ED
What are you talking about? Production has been running at full speed for weeks!

LINK
And that’s left me with 100 organs that will never play a note.

ED
But why?

LINK
This thing can’t last forever. This recession is bound to fix its self. I’ve seen it happen dozens of times. It all comes to an end, and people need entertainment to forget the lean times they just made it through. I wanted to be prepared. When this thing finally blew over, I wanted the Link C. Sharpe to be playing the music they heard.

ED
They will! Come on, Dad, you’re right, it can’t last. Theron and I have been setting up my trainer at carnivals. We’re making a nickle a ride. I can skip a few paychecks if that will help. We’ll ride it through.

LINK
There won’t be any more paychecks. I’m closing the doors.

ED
Dad, stop.

LINK
Some of the studios are thinking about sound films. They got the actors talking right on the record.

ED
They’re still going to need music...

LINK
They can have music from any musician they want, and they only need to pay him for it once. Listen to me, Edwin. The Links are through. Your mother should have enough saved to get you enrolled in college. Once you get some education, your brother can get you a job.

ED
There’s something we can do. There will still need a way for people to hear the music, some kind of strings, maybe. We’ve got everything to build it right here. Come on, Dad. Give me the weekend, and I’ll come up with something!

LINK
I don’t want to make goddamn pianos!

ED
My trainer then. Let me get Theron. He’s been helping me, he’ll tell you it’s a worthwhile project.

LINK
If you don’t want the bank to take your trainers, you’ll have them out of the basement by morning.

Continued 2/23

MAN-IN-SEA

Cast of Characters:

LINK
An inventor. Also, Ed’s father.

ED
As Link remembers himself.

MARION
Ed’s wife.

CLAY
Ed and Marion’s second son.


No comments:

Post a Comment