Thursday, November 12, 2015

Mother of Blue Stars



Episode 5

RAYMOND: I need to change.

MARY: Change in the cellar.  Hurry so we can eat.

RAYMOND: Okay, Ma.

[RAYMOND exits]

ANDY: So what’s for supper?  Lunch was a long time ago. [ANDY rubs his belly]

MARY: This thing with Raymond is not over.

ANDY: Mama, what’s for supper?

MARY: Tomorrow maybe I’ll go to the recruiting place and talk with that man.  I’ll go before I shop.

ANDY: (shouting) For the last time, what’s for supper?!

MARY: Don’t shout at me!  Can’t you see I’ve made pirogues?

ANDY: Do I know these things?  [Beat]  What’s in them?

MARY: Potatoes.

ANDY: Potatoes?  Again?  You couldn’t get prunes?

MARY: There were none.

ANDY: Next time make them with prunes.  I’m tired of potatoes.

MARY: Papa, you’ll eat what I feed you.  Prunes are hard to get these days.

ANDY: Baaaaa!  A man works hard and should eat what he wants.

[ELEANOR enters]

ELEANOR:  Hiya, Pop!

[ANDY grunts and exits]

ELEANOR: Ma, should I use the good plates or the everyday plates?

MARY: The everyday plates.  It’s just us.  The Sergeant-man is not coming.

ELEANOR: He’s not coming!  Why not?  What happened?

MARY: He had plans.

ELEANOR: [Disappointedly] Oh. [Beat] Plans with a girl?

MARY: He didn’t say.

Continued 11/18.

No comments:

Post a Comment