Monday, June 14, 2010



As performed by:

Joseph R. Petrolawicz as Matriarch
Kristen Wheeler as Ka
Jason Walsh as Ra

and directed by,

Brett Tribe

with costumes designed by

Anna Kovach




Scene 4

SET: Cold River, Night.

LIGHTS UP LOW

Enter RA. He looks around. KA enters, singing. RA hides. KA picks through the leaves, takes a Red Fruit. Eats.

KA
Nothing like Red Fruit in the moonlight.

RA
Well, Danglehorn, you got your way.

KA
What are you doing here, trying to scare me out of my wits? Besides, you weren’t supposed to leave your crash.

RA
I just came to say good bye.

KA
Oh, well, thank you. Have a nice trip.

RA
It was an accident, you know. I didn’t mean to trip over your Great Matriarch. I just tripped on a root. There aren’t many trees where I come from. I wasn’t looking and I tripped. I rolled all the way down that hill, and I thought for sure I was going in the river. If you care so much, you should put those old bones somewhere safer, not leave them in the tall grass.

KA
Well... I guess you’ll be careful in the next valley you find.

RA
I also wanted to thank you.

KA
Thank me?

RA
You don’t know how long it took to get here, don’t know how far we’ve had to walk. It’s real hot this time of year, and as dry as those rocks up on the hill above your Cold River. There ain’t much to eat. We were thirsty, and real, real hungry. We tried not to bother you, didn’t leave nothing in your river, or trample your grasses. We tried to be good.

KA
It will be a long time before the Past Matriarchs can resume their rest.

RA
We don’t care! You have food, how can you not find it in your heart to keep it from us? We don’t want to stay here in your damp, stinky valley. Rhinoceroses love the feel of the ground shuddering beneath our feet and the Sun pounding on our backs as we charge across the plain. We don’t want to stay here, we were happy with just a few days of quiet before the Peacock Apes found us again. As mean as you’ve been, the Peacock Apes are worse, so thank you for letting us stay here as long as you did.

KA
What are Peacock Apes?

RA
Terrible creatures, squirmy little things that run around on two legs.

KA
How do they keep from falling over?

RA
They are full of cunning and trickery. They work in groups to hide how puny they are. The Peacock Apes cut down our thistles and burned our thorns. When we tried to stamp out the fire, they hurled great rocks and branches at us and pushed us from our plain. We tried to be strong, but there were so many of them. Even after we decided to migrate, they kept coming and coming. We wanted a break. Alpha asked me to tell you the Sharp Trunks are grateful you Danglehorns provided us with this.

KA
They followed you? Here?

RA
There is no following. Everywhere we went, if the Peacock Apes weren’t already there, it wasn’t long before they showed up.

KA
Does Matriarch know? Did your Alpha tell her these things were after you?

RA
Your Matriarch knows. All the animals know. If we didn’t bring them, something else would, or they would find it on their own. They are always looking and prying and crawling their way into everything they shouldn’t be touching. You’re better off getting used to them now.

RUMBLING OS

KA
What was that?

RA
They’re here!

KA
How big is a creature that can growl like that?

RA
Big enough, now come on, we’ve got to find Alpha.

KA
Go with you? To the Sharp Trunks?

RA
Unless you want to stay out here and tell that not to stomp on your grasses.

RUMBLING OS

KA
We need to tell Matriarch.

RA
Run. Fast. Don’t look back. Or look back, you’ll never do it again. Either way, I’m not sticking around to see your expression. Now good bye, the Sharp Trunks are leaving your Valley.

KA
You can’t just leave me out here, not by myself.

RA
After you were ready to walk us out to the fields where there are no trees to hide behind? No thank you, I’m not risking my hide for that.

RUMBLING OS

KA
It’s getting closer!

RA
So I’ve got to get further away.

RA starts to leave. Looks back at KA.

RA
The Sharp Trunks won’t let them in without a fight. Your family will have time to get out.

RA exits.

KA
Oh no, what are we going to do. We need to find Matriarch, but I can hardly see a thing in the dark. We can’t call for help, or that creature will hear us.

RUMBLING OS

KA
I think we’re being too loud as it is! Come on, we’ve got to move!

KA clumsily navigates across the stage. MATRIARCH enters.

MATRIARCH
Ka? Is that you?

KA
It’s me, Matriarch.

MATRIARCH
What are you Younglings doing out here?

KA
Matriarch, it's the Peacock Apes!

MATRIARCH
I know, Ka. The Sisters saw them come down the Cold River, we need to get moving.

KA
The Sharp Trunks are going to fight them.

MATRIARCH
Good, they brought this problem, they can take care of it as well. By themselves.

KA
We’re not going to help them?

MATRIARCH
We’re leaving.

KA
Abandoning the Valley? We can’t.

MATRIARCH
We can, and we are, as quickly as I can get the family moving, now come with me. How loud is your trumpet.

KA
But the Sharp Trunks need our help!

MATRIARCH
Last Sun you begged us to toss them out on their horns, now you want to help them? My daughter, have you lost your head? You Younglings need to go on ahead. Follow the Cold River to the East Bend and wait for the family there. Ka and I will trumpet from the Mountain Top.

KA
I was wrong, Matriarch. The Sharp Trunks aren’t so bad, they were just hungry. Ra promised they would leave as soon as they had some time to rest. If we don’t help them drive out the Peacock Apes, there won’t be any Valley left!

MATRIARCH
I don’t want to hear another word, Ka. We need to get up the Mountain so the family can hear our trumpet. Let the Sharp Trunks worry about the Peacock Apes. Now come with me!

MATRIARCH exits.

KA
Elephants don’t run away! We can’t leave the Sharp Trunks, but we can’t disobey Matriarch.

RUMBLING OS

But I don’t want to stay here and see that without her. We need to follow her, but if she knows you came with us, she will send you out of the Valley. Come with me, but be as quiet as you can!

LIGHTS DOWN

RUMBLING OS

Go to Scene 5


No comments:

Post a Comment