Monday, August 16, 2010

Chapter 4



Agent Martin
I have my gun trained on Eleazar’s head as he steps into the service stairway. He stops, drops his own gun and holds his hands up.

“You’ve got me, buddy-boy,” he says, still grinning. “Don’t know how you did it, but you got me. John Martin, right?”

“Special Agent John Martin,” I say. I cuff his hands behind his back while reciting his rights.“I’ve been following you for a while, Mr. Eleazar,” I say when I finish. “It’s an honor to finally meet you.”

“An honor?” he asks incredulously.

“Oh yeah,” I say as I start to lead him down the stairs. “You’re slippery. If you didn't get sold out..."

"I don't get sold out," Eleazar says, and I think he's about to stop smiling..

I give him a little push and we start down the stairs. "One of your boys thought it was worth it to be out of prison."

Eleazar doesn't falter. “Mephis has no patience whatsoever.” He sighs. “He has never done well in bondage.”

I let my frustration show a little more than I like. “You don’t sound too upset." I bite back my tongue and say, "These Florida cops haven't seen anything like you since Bundy. They'll be eager to see you burn." I push out a chuckle. "They sell tickets and hot dogs for executions like yours." I want more than anything to see Eleazar upset. I'm tense for the moment he springs the trap he's been laughing about.

“I’d like to see them try.” He laughs hard and loud, echoing through the stairway. “There is nothing in the motel room to convict me with. All you have is a couple eye-witnesses and one of my employees saying it was me.” He turns his head and looks at me. “Not exactly what I’d call an airtight case.”

“I have you in my hands, that’s step one.”

“And once I’m out of your hands, you’ll never hold me.”

“Why did you do that to the poor girl, Eleazar?” I ask, putting my hand in my jacket pocket. “What did she do? She had no drug or criminal connections. Why did you do it? You punished that poor girl, why?”

Eleazar laughs again. “Are you trying to trick a confession out of me? Do you think I don’t know about the tape recorder in your pocket? Those tapes go blank sometimes, you know?” He pauses thoughtfully. “You wouldn’t understand why I did it, it’s beyond your level of comprehension. For now, let’s just suffice it to say that I did it...I raped and tortured and killed that girl for one reason, and one reason only.” He pauses and turns his head. “May want to take the recorder out of your pocket for this one, get it loud and clear.”

Sheepishly, I pull the micro-cassette-recorder out of my suit-jacket and hold it up to his face.

“I killed that girl, tore her to pieces for one simple reason.” He speaks slowly and clearly and it chills my bones. “I wanted to get your attention.”

I don’t say another word. We go down the stairs and I take him out the back door. In my car, I radio that Eleazar is in custody. They have the other one out front. I don’t know who he is, never heard of him, never made any connection between him and Eleazar until we found him buying drugs tonight. I drive Eleazar out front and turn him over. He doesn’t say another word, he just smiles. I can’t look at that smile.

Go to Chapter 5


Print is better. Buy the book here:


No comments:

Post a Comment