Friday, March 20, 2015

The Alarm Clock at the End of the World


Part 15
Prologue, Part 6

Nepotism and I were dragged from the limos and shoved into the circle of frightened people. We all had our eyes darting around like mad, trying to figure this all out and a new limo pulled up and an old man with a three-piece-tweed got out of the car with a clipboard. I recognized the Old Priest immediately. Pisceans were not kidnappers to be taken lightly.

The Old Priest divided everyone into two groups. Then he forced us to stand quietly for an hour. Anyone from my group that protested was moved to the other group, but the other group was largely ignored if they spoke. Nepotism was in my group, and for once knew better than to speak.

Finally, at long last, the Old Preist explained we had all been extensively monitored and deemed security threats. My group were assessed as potential with a chance of redemption. The other group were assessed as present threats that had to be dealt with through stiff, cold brutality as a warning to the rest. That group was forced into the woods by Pisceans. For nearly half an hour the rest quietly enjoyed our horror as gunfire ripped through the woods. Unbelievable amounts of gunfire, and screaming.

When it stopped the Old Priest spoke again. He said he hoped that this had served as a lesson to all of us and we would clean up our lives and not take the dangerous route that the second group had chosen. They ushered us back into the limos and sent us home. My front door was already fixed and my window as well. The splinters from the broken door and shattered glass were still laying around the floor for me to clean up. A second limo screeched to a halt out in front of my house and four Pisceans dragged Nepotism inside as well.

We were sat in chairs and just stared at for several minutes. Finally, the SI's touched their ear-radios, nodded and left abruptly. Nepotism and I knew my apartment was still bugged. They would be listening now more than any other time. If we didn’t just let it all go and fall into the mold, we would have to be eliminated, put out of the misery of the Regime before we could be recruited into her Majesty’s Most Secret of Secret Services.

I looked at Nepotism for several minutes until finally, I stood up and wondered aloud why there was so much broken glass on the floor. He got the cue and asked what all the wood splinters were, and I said I had no idea, but we had better clean them up before someone gets hurt. With a hunting knife, I dug as many of the bullets out of the wall and floor that I could find, and then “threw away” all of my dangerous books and CD’s, burying them in an undisclosed location where they could be retrieved at a later date for the benefit of the Resistance. I walked back to Nepotism’s house and we did the same thing there, and while we were out buying food in the early morning hours, we hired people to burn down our houses and got our asses out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment