Friday, November 17, 2017

The Alarm Clock at the End of the World



Part 92

Epilogue Part 6

“What were you doing at SpectraCom?” Seph asks slowly.

“Stealing a relic. Something dug up in Iraq.”

“The Alarm Clock at the End of the World,” Kara says. “Simon said these kids were on their shit. I call and they be on the block in a heartbeat.” She goes back in the garage.

“Did anyone see you kill Solomon?” she asks.

“Couple hundred SpectraCom employees,” I say. “They loved every minute of it.”

She shakes her head and grins. “I’ll just pretend you didn’t tell me any of that. Just stopped by for a drink and nostalgia.”

“We could have beat them in Metro City, Seph. Party Mayor could have been gone! Your kids broke tables, started fights, got the cops called to every show. You divided us without a second thought.” I shake my head slowly.

Kara returns. “Can I see your phone again?” Kara asks. Persephone holds it out without looking at Kara. “They should be here by now.” Nervously, she punches in the numbers.

“That’s how I’m doing,” I say. “Did I hear you’re on the faculty now? State College?”

“MCU,” she admits.

“Not bad.” I purse my lips and nod. “Voted Democrat, eh?”

“Those were the terms of my contract.” 

I get caught on memory. “I don’t get it,” I say. “Mephis said there was an artifact. I didn’t see anything.” I shouldn’t tell Persephone, who knows where it will be repeated and to whom. I need to work this out though, the mystery lying under. I hope the sound of my voice will work the thoughts loose. There was nothing though, nothing but Kara, and she came with us.”

Persephone lowers an eyebrow. “What did you call that girl?”

“Kara,” I say. “The ALA kids over at Castle Greyskull sent her and some friends to help us. They were killed by Scrubbers. There was Kara... Nigel, and... Goat. The ring leader was Simon something. Same face tattoo guy as when you lived there is guarding the front door...”

“Her name isn’t Kara,” Persephone says.

Outside, a van beeps its horn and Kara shouts for me to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment