Monday, June 7, 2010



As performed by:

Joseph R. Petrolawicz as Matriarch
Kristen Wheeler as Ka
Jason Walsh as Ra

and directed by,

Brett Tribe

with costumes designed by

Anna Kovach




Scene 2

SET: Groves of the Younglings

LIGHTS UP

Enter KA, looking nervous. She paces about impatiently.

KA
Where are they? Where are they? What’s taking so long? I hate just sitting here like this.

OS-trumpeting of elephants.

KA
They’re here!

Enter MATRIARCH.

KA
What did you find? What did you find?

MATRIARCH
The Sharp Trunks mean us no harm. They thought this place was empty.

KA
Did you tell them to leave?

MATRIARCH
They promised not to cross into the Sacred Glades by the East Branch, where the Matriarchs Past have gone to sleep.

KA
Do they really have trunks made of rock?

MATRIARCH
Where did you hear something like that?

KA
Everyone’s talking about it: The birds, the antelope, why, even the Lizards are talking about them!

MATRIARCH
I don’t think I like you speaking with Lizards and Antelope.

KA
Then it’s true. We must summon the Bulls.

MATRIARCH
There are only a few, they are nothing to worry about.

KA
Are they as ugly as I’ve heard? What do they look like?

MATRIARCH

They are not the nicest looking creatures to see, it’s true, but I think they will stay true to their word.

KA
You didn’t tell them to leave? What did you tell them?

MATRIARCH
I spoke with the leader of their family. He knows we are here.

KA
But what if they eat our grass? What if they peel all the bark before we’ve had any for ourselves? We need to get them out!

MATRIARCH
You must be patient, my daughter. They have been walking long and far. If we give them a day or two, they will leave on their own.

KA
And what if they don’t? They will trample the grass and break down the trees that give shade to the Sleeping Mothers. We can’t let them stay! We can’t!

MATRIARCH
Last I checked, my daughter, it was I that led this family, not you. I will decide who can stay in our valley and how long.

KA
Can I go see them?

MATRIARCH
Absolutely not.

KA
Why not? Are they not as friendly as you say?

MATRIARCH

They can’t be judged if the long walk has made them as crude and surly as we’ve heard. It is best to leave them alone. In three days, I will speak with them again. Until that time, I want you staying out of the Grove of the Past Matriarchs. Do you hear me?

KA
You can’t do that.

MATRIARCH
I can, and I did. Now shouldn’t you be reading your Leaves?

KA
Have you summoned a Council?

MATRIARCH
The Matriarch doesn’t require the approval of a Council if she doesn’t feel it is necessary. It is written in the leaves. I have made my decision, Ka, there is no room for questions.

KA
The Elephants will complain!

MATRIARCH
Let them. Now repeat after me.

KA
No.

MATRIARCH
We must obey... We must obey... Ka? We must obey...

KA
We must obey and follow it to the word.

MATRIARCH
If it wasn’t important.

KA
We wouldn’t remember it if it wasn’t important.

MATRIARCH
So be prepared to recite it when you need.

KA
What good will reciting leaves do for us?

MATRIARCH
It goes back... It goes back...

KA
It goes back generations.

MATRIARCH

Revised...

KA
Revised, appropriate, and deemed good to settle all disputes.

MATRIARCH
If we give the Sharp Trunks a few days to rest and recuperate, they will leave on their own. They have been wronged, and must find a new home. If we push them too hard, it will only be provoking a fight.

KA
So you’re going to let them stay?

MATRIARCH

We’re going to wait. Do you hear me? Give them three days. Then we’ll talk to them again. Now go call the others to hear my report.

KA
Yes Matriarch.

KA and MATRIARCH exit from opposite sides.

LIGHTS DOWN

Go to Scene 3


No comments:

Post a Comment