Friday, June 11, 2010



As performed by:

Joseph R. Petrolawicz as Matriarch
Kristen Wheeler as Ka
Jason Walsh as Ra

and directed by,

Brett Tribe

with costumes designed by

Anna Kovach



Scene 3

SET: Cold River.

LIGHTS UP

Great commotion OS. Enter RA, stumbling, catching his balance. He is a small rhinoceros. He brushes himself off.

RA
Well that was a heck of a place to leave a bunch of old bones laying around! It’s so dark up in those trees, I didn’t even see them laying there! I thought I was going to end up in the river before I could catch my balance. Now... which way leads back to the crash.

KA(OS)
My Great, Great Matriarch!

RA hides. KA enters.

KA
Who would be so bold as to disturb the rest of my Great, Great Matriarch, who droves the tigers from this valley with nothing but her own two tusks. Why, she was the biggest elephant that has ever lived, and when she trumpeted, you could hear her in the next valley. Now, some clod has tripped all over her! (Sees RA) Hey! There you are, get out of those Red Fruit Trees!

They circle and inspect each other.

RA
What the heck are you supposed to be? Look at that horn! What did you do, bang that thing against a tree? How did you get it so... dangly?

RA tweeks KA's trunk. KA shakes her head and stomps a few steps. RA backs away.

KA
My name is Ka, and my mother is Matriarch over this entire valley, from the Eastern Pass to the West River, so if you are going to be stomping around here chewing our bushes and trampling our grass, Sharp Trunk, you had better be ready to tell me who you are!

RA
I didn’t ask who you are, I asked what you are.

KA
Why I’m an Elephant, the proudest and wisest creatures in all the Valley’s and grasslands.

RA
I think I’ll just call you Danglehorn.

KA
Danglehorn? Danglehorn! Well, you Sharp Trunks are walking in the Groves of our Past Matriarchs, where they sleep and dream and give guidance to the Matriarchs in times of worry.

RA

Well, this valley is full of the thorns and thistles we like to eat, so my crash will be staying here a while. If you Danglehorns don’t like it, your Matriarch can take it up with Alpha.

KA
Oh yeah, and who does he think he is?

RA
My father, thank you very much. He led the crash since it split from his father, and one day, I’ll lead the crash that splits from Alpha, so you’d better be nice.

KA
Then maybe you should try being nice to me.

RA

When you’re Alpha, you don’t have to be nice, especially not some silly Danglehorn. Now you get outta here, so I can chew the thorns.

KA
Those thorns belong to the Elephants!

RA
Not anymore.

KA

Why you...

KA charges RA and is knocked over, but he doesn’t fall.

RA

I hope all you Danglehorns don’t charge like that. You ain’t ever going to push us out of here.

KA
The Past Matriarchs will see you out, they always know the best advice for our family to follow.

RA
Well, if they’re smart, they will tell you to pipe down and let us eat the thistles.

KA
Don’t you have thistles of your own?

RA
We did.

KA
Why don’t you go eat those?

RA
They burned down.

KA
But those are our thistles!

RA
Have you ever tasted one?

KA
No...

RA
Well I have. They’re delicious. Unless you start munching in the next few minutes, I’m going to assume you are passing on your share.

KA
How did your thistles burn?

RA
They caught fire and burned down. I don’t want to talk about it, so just leave me alone.

KA
Was it lightning? How did it happen?

RA
It’s fire. It burns things. It just happens. Will you stop talking about it? You’ve got thorns, you’ve got thristles, and if you knew how good they taste, you would have eaten them yourself, so just back off and let me do the work.

KA
We don’t eat them... We admire the thorns and thistles for their beauty.

RA
They are just as beautiful going down my throat. What do you like to eat?

KA
Elephants dine on only the longest grasses and the thickest bark growing on the slopes of the North Mountain. Sometimes, the trees down here by the river grow a tasty red fruit, but we can only eat them on a special occasion.

RA
What occasion is that?

KA
The Bulls can smell the Red Fruit across the grasslands beyond the mountains. When the fruits bloom, the Bulls return to feast.

RA uncovers a RED FRUIT but doesn’t see it. KA sees it, tries to get closer.

RA
And what would you do if I came stomping in and told you not to eat any more because I liked they way they look?

KA
You’d be standing between the Red Fruit and some angry elephants.

RA
Thistles are my Red Fruit.

KA
Well thistles are my... thistles!

The Past Matriarchs gaze on these thistles in the afternoon sun to remind them of when they were young and bearded. (KA calls out to the Past Matriarchs, trying to get closer to the Red Fruit) Don’t worry, Matriarchs, you’ll be resting peacefully soon enough. These stinky Sharp Trunks will be gone soon enough.

RA steps between KA and the Red Fruit.

RA
(Menacingly) I ain’t going anywhere. Why do you even care. We’ve been up here since last night, and we haven’t seen any of you Danglehorns walk through here once. All I’ve seen is a bunch of bones laying around.

KA
Bunch of bones, those are the Past Matriarchs! Why, it was probably you that disturbed the rest of my Great, Great Matriarch on the hill!

RA
So what if I did?

KA
No telling what Matriarch will do when she finds out about this. No one is supposed to bother the sleep of the Past Matriarchs.

RA
Well go and tell her it was me! Tell her I danced around with the tusks for all I care. Just pipe down and let me eat!

KA
Matriarch! Matriarch, where are you? (trumpets)

RA
(laughing)What the heck was that noise? Did you make that with your horn?

KA
I told you, it’s not a horn! It’s a trunk. I can pick stuff up, move things around, and choose the very best leaves and berries from the branches of the trees.

RA
And hold it up in the air, so you look like a big, fat giraffe.

KA
I do not look like a giraffe!

RA
That’s true, I’ve never seen a giraffe so ugly.

KA
Why you...

KA chases RA around the stage.

RA
Knock it off, I was just having a little fun.

KA

Well, I don’t like it.

RA
Oh, lighten up.

KA
And what’s that supposed to mean?

RA
We’ve been walking north for days, We’ve eaten only the most bitter twigs and leaves and some haven’t had a drop to drink Now we’ve found a valley overflowing with our favorite thorns and thistles, and you won’t let us eat.

KA
These are the groves where the Mothers Past have chosen to sleep. They are dreaming of the glorious lives they lived. They pass this wisdom to our Mothers in times of need... You did what? That is where my Great, Great, Great Matriarch is sleeping.

RA
Look, if the Sharp Trunks don’t eat, we’ll be sleeping right beside them. You Danglehorns are just as selfish and cruel as Alpha says.

KA
Selfish? Cruel?

RA
But he wasn’t even close when he said how ugly you are.

KA chases RA about the stage. They tire and stop, panting.

KA
We want you out! This valley belongs to the Elephants. Go back to your own lands.

RA
We can’t.

KA
Can’t? What’s stopping you.

RA
The Peacock Apes pushed us from our lands.

KA
You Sharp Trunks are afraid of little monkeys?

RA picks up a Red Fruit.

RA
What’s this?

KA
Hey, put that down, that’s not yours.

RA
Is it fruit?

KA
Bitter fruit, stings the tongue.

RA
What’s it taste like?

KA
You wouldn’t like it.

RA
I like most things I eat. That’s why I don’t eat that many, so it doesn’t get confusing. I think I might want to give it a little nibble, make sure it isn’t something I’d be interested in.

KA
Come on, give it to me!

RA takes a bite.

RA
Hey, that’s pretty good!

KA
Okay, you’ve had your taste, now give it here where it belongs.

RA
No way! I’m going to find Alpha and have him bring down the whole crash.

KA
That’s it, Sharp Trunk, you’ve had your chance, I’m telling Matriarch for sure. She won’t let you watch the sun rise from the East Mountain before you’ve been put to the road.

RA
I can’t wait!

RA eats more of the fruit and tosses it over his shoulder. RA chuckles and exits.

KA
Matriarch! Matriarch! Matriarch, it’s an emergency! Oh, what am I going to do? If my Great, Great Matriarch gets woken up, we are all going to be in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. I’ve got to tell her right away it was not any of us. Matriarch! (Trumpets) That’s it, I’ve had enough, those Sharp Trunks have got to go. It was my Great, Great Matriarch who led our family to this Valley. She stood as tall as a giraffe and her trunk could pull down a tree. She faced down lions, hyenas, and all manor of hunter on the plains until they came across a secret trail along the banks of the Cold River. She chased out the tigers and helped the elephants select their groves. And that nasty Sharp Trunk is dancing with her tusks. Matriarch has to be told. Matriarch! (Trumpets)

Enter MATRIARCH

MATRIARCH
Ka, what have you been yelling about?

KA
I’ll tell her we all saw him do it. She’ll throw the Sharp Trunks out for sure! Matriarch!

MATRIARCH
What are you doing this far from the Cold River?

KA
We have to summon a council.

MATRIARCH
We’ve been worried sick!

KA
It’s the Sharp Trunks, Matriarch! They’re stealing our food and disturbing the Past Matriarchs!

MATRIARCH
How do you know this?

KA
We’ve seen one. All of us. I’ve seen one. I was visiting the Grove of my Great, Great Matriarch, and a Sharp Trunk came crashing through to take... this Red Fruit!

MATRIARCH
You visited the Groves, after I told you to stay here?

KA
I’m sorry, Matriarch... But you’ll thank me when you find out what I’ve seen.

MATRIARCH
You leave the Sharp Trunks alone.

KA
He told me he was son of their Alpha, and that they had come to trample the Long Grasses, and eat the Red Fruit. I told him the Elephants already live in the Valley, and there is not enough room, but he just laughed and began to dance around with the tusks of my Great, Great, Great Matriarch who chased the Tigers from our Valley.

MATRIARCH
It was jungle cats, and they really weren’t that big. She did get quite nasty when you pointed it out though... No less, these Sharp Trunks have promised to treat the Groves with respect. They will eat only the thistles and thorns, and will not touch the Red Fruit...

KA
Does this look like one of us was chewing on it?

MATRIARCH
Enough Ka, I don’t have time for this nonsense.

KA
Then come with me to the Groves! You’ll see what the Sharp Trunks have done!

MATRIARCH
(To Audience) You all saw this?

KA
We all did, Matriarch! He came down the hill with her tusks tucked up under his front legs, waving them around and yelling, “I’m a big, ugly Danglehorn!” You have to make them leave, Matriarch!

MATRIARCH
He brought down her tusks? Well, where are they now?

KA
Well, I put them back, of course. I wanted to make sure he didn’t wake her. Come up the hill and see! We can’t let them stay another night.

MATRIARCH
And you all saw this?

KA
We all saw this. Come on, Matriarch, there isn’t a moment to lose!

KA leads MATRIARCH off stage.

LIGHTS DOWN

Go to Scene 4


No comments:

Post a Comment