Monday, September 29, 2014

Man-In-Sea



Scene 11

LINK
Marion heard the dog barking before the airplane. As the engine grew louder the dog became more excited. By the time the airplane had landed, the dog was in a frenzy, barking and howling until I spoke to him.

ED
Hey Pat! Did you miss me! Don’t worry, buddy, I’ll take you for a ride in a little bit. All right buddy, wait here. Stay. Stay!

MARION
Uh... Mr. Link?

ED
Please, call me Ed. I call my father Mr. Link.

MARION
I’m Marion Clayton. The Press sent me over.

ED
It’s a pleasure to meet you. Come in.

MARION
Is this your garage?

ED
It’s called a hanger. Me and a couple other guys rent it out, but most of the time, I’m the only one here.

MARION
I’m assuming that was you flying... down?

ED
Landing. I was making sure she was working all right. Did you buy that car working for the Press?

MARION
It comes from the motor pool, but I use it most.

ED
I’ve thought about getting one. Usually I borrow a truck from the factory if I need to go somewhere I can’t fly.

MARION
They told me you work for your father.

ED
I do piano installation. I’ve had my hands in just about every theater organ in Broome County!

MARION
Did your father teach you to fly?

ED
My Dad? Oh, no, he can’t stand to think of it! I hang around up at Bennett Field. The guy that owns the place, name’a Dick Bennett, he pretty much taught me everything I know.

MARION
And you’ve built some kind of trainer.

ED
It’s a carnival ride, mostly.

MARION
What does it do?

ED
It’s supposed to help pilots learn to fly before they get off the ground, but lately my brother Theron and I take them to fairs on the weekends. He helps my father run the company the rest of the time. My brother thinks the economy will pick up soon though, and people will be flying again.

MARION
Well, it sounds like a very valuable idea to me.

ED
Amelia Earhart bought one!

MARION
What about the army? They’re flying all the time now a’days.

ED
I keep asking, but they keep turning it down. Do you think it would make a good story for your paper if you went up with me?

MARION
In the sky?

ED
It’s the only place my Cessna knows to go.

MARION
Well, I guess... I mean, it’s news, right?

ED
All right, let’s go! It’s about time I give Pat a ride anyway. He was mad I didn’t take him up earlier.

MARION
Who’s Pat?

ED
My terrier.

MARION
You’re going to take him up with you?

ED
He’s my little flying companion. Come on, I’ll show you how a dog acts when I turn the plane upside down!

Scene 12 

Man-In-Sea



Cast of Characters:

LINK
An inventor. Also, Ed’s father.

ED
As Link remembers himself himself.

MARION

Ed’s wife.

CLAY
Ed and Marion’s second son.

No comments:

Post a Comment