Monday, September 22, 2014

Man-In-Sea



Scene 9

LINK
I found him smoking a cigarette in my office! I hit him that day. Not hard, just to knock  that cigarette out of his mouth. I demanded to know where he’d been.

CLAY
Dracula was playing up at the Capitol Theater. We took some girls up there.

ED
I got a call from your principal today.

CLAY
What did he want?

ED
He thought we should discuss your grades.

CLAY
That guy loves to give me a hard time.

ED
You’re failing three classes!

CLAY
I am not!

ED
What do you call it then?

CLAY
I can’t do it! What’s all this math good for? There’s calculators now.

ED
And if you don’t have one?

CLAY
Then I won’t do the math.

ED
And what are you going to do, write stories all your life?

CLAY
Why not? That’s what Mom does.

LINK
Edwin!

ED
What is it, Dad?

LINK
Your principal stopped by my office.

ED
What did he want?

LINK
What do you think he wanted?

ED
Clayton, I won’t have this...

LINK
He told me you threw your books on the floor and walked out.

ED
I’ve had enough of that place!

LINK
I practically had to give him stock in the company, but I talked him into letting you come back.

ED
I’m not going back!

CLAY
Why do you care? You never finished school.

ED
That’s not the point.

CLAY
Why not?

ED
Because I had to work just as hard. You’re a smart kid, Clay, you can’t waste this opportunity.

CLAY
I’m not going back there.

LINK
Yes you are.

ED
Try and make me.

LINK
How will you feel when I cut off your allowance?

ED
I don’t care!

CLAY
I’ll get a job, just like you did.

ED
You’re right, you're not going back there.

LINK
Fine, you don’t have to go back there.

CLAY
What?

ED
What?

LINK
One of the piano tuners retired yesterday. You don’t want to go to school? I’ve got a seat for you in the workshop. You can earn your pay.

ED
You’re going to Millbrook.

CLAY
You’re sending me to prep school?

ED
Did you think I was joking?

CLAY
Mom won’t let you do this!

ED
She thinks it’s a great idea.

CLAY
You just want me out of the way so you can go play in the ocean!

LINK
You can think what you want, but that won't change a thing.

ED
Fine! Put me to work. I’ll be the best damn tuner you have!


Man-In-Sea


Cast of Characters:

LINK
An inventor. Also, Ed’s father.

ED
As Link remembers himself himself.

MARION
Ed’s wife.

CLAY
Ed and Marion’s second son.

No comments:

Post a Comment