Friday, February 20, 2015

The Alarm Clock at the End of the World


Part 11
 Late The Previous Morning.

“Extreme!” I yell, jamming another magazine into my pistol as he covers me. “Have you noticed we are taking fire? If those bullets hit us, we might die. I don’t think I’m being the least bit extreme.”

“Oh please,” he sighs, doing the same while I cover him. “How many times have agents shot at you? Back in Metro City, I didn’t even go a week.”

 “Every time we get in a gun battle, I have this argument with you, and every time, I vow that if it ever happens again...”

“You’re going to shoot me yourself, yes, yes, I know.” Nepotism sighs and fires. “Now come on, load that thing, we don’t have all day.”

“Tell me where the girl is!” I shout, trying to sound in control.

“A pain stabbed my heart, as it did every time I saw a girl I loved who was going the opposite direction in this too-big world, Mr. Filth.”

“See dude, I told ya, just like Ira Einhorn.”

“Shut up.”

“Did you know that it means ‘Unicorn?’ That’s why they called him the Unicorn Killer.”

“I don’t think this is really the right time to be having this conversation.”

  “Think about it, dude. His number was 1. That’s powerful.”

“Aww, fuck it,” I snarl and march across the room. I shoot the bookshelf at about waist level, point-blank range with my shotgun. “It’s ‘Doctor’ Filth!” There is a thump, and I hear the unmistakable tinkle of liquid spraying. I look over my shoulder. Nepotism’s jaw hangs wide. “He was stonewalling us.” I peek around behind the bookshelf at the mess I’ve left. “He was hoping we knew where St. Eva is. They don’t know where she is.”

Nepotism's eyes widen as realization dawns. “He wasn’t expecting us! They got the drop on us and fumbled.” He walks behind the bookshelf and inspects the body. “That’s good. I like that. It’s probably true.”

“Which means they don’t have my notebook yet.”

“Let’s get out of here.”



No comments:

Post a Comment