Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Jack the Ripper Doesn't Exist



Scene 11



ALICE: I’ll put you out the doors myself!

KELLY: You’ve seen what they do, Alice! You’ll get it just as bad if you get in his way!

ABBERLINE: You didn’t hear what he said.

ALICE: That man’s out of his mind! You’re upset over what he said?

KELLY: He said he’d make sure I never hurt anyone again.

ABBERLINE: I teased him! That’s why I’m here! He held a grudge for 35 years because I teased him!

ALICE: That gives you the right to bash his skull in?

ABBERLINE: I’m sorry, Miss Crook. I was wrong to touch your patient. Could you please get Dr. Taylor? I’d like to present my report.

ALICE: You can’t just shuffle me off like a serving wench! I ain’t leaving you alone with him.

ABBERLINE: Miss Crook, please. I’m sorry. You have my word, I’m not going to hurt him. I swear.

KELLY: Hurry, Alice! A cop’s word ain’t worth much! Won’t be long before he remembers his promise.

Alice exits.
ABBERLINE: I’ll wait in the guardhouse if you’d like.
KELLY: All this time, I thought you had it figured out. All this time, I’ve been waiting for you to spring the trap. It was right in front of your face, and you never got it.

ABBERLINE: And I suppose that makes you smarter than me?

KELLY: Oh no, Inspector, not at all! You’re a brilliant policeman, I’m lowly street-trash. That’s why you were so quick to capture me. I don’t know what I would have done if I had to spend thirty years eluding you. I might have to turn myself in!


ABBERLINE: Nurse Crook won’t be able to pull me off you next time.

KELLY: Such a sweet girl. A regular beacon in the darkness, yes she is.

ABBERLINE: If she saw what I saw, she wouldn’t be so sympathetic.

KELLY: She shouldn’t be in this place. None of the doctors even treats us so nice. She should be someplace clean. Someplace safe.

ABBERLINE: Can we get back on track?
KELLY: She don’t deserve to see the things that happen here.

Continued tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment