Friday, February 19, 2010


Scene 8

Set: Temporary employment office.

RECEPTIONIST is sitting at her desk filing her nails.

LIGHTS UP

BEATRICE enters and stands until the RECEPTIONIST takes notice.

RECEPTIONIST
Yes, can I help you?

BEATRICE
Yes... um... I’m here about my job. My name is Beatrice Catts...

RECEPTIONIST
Yes, uh... We sent you up to SpectraCom, didn’t we?

BEATRICE

No, I assist Dr. Dendrobates.

RECEPTIONIST
He’s paying you, isn’t he? He’s usually pretty good about doing it himself, but some times he forgets, so don’t worry. I just have to give him a call this afternoon, and he’ll make sure you get paid.

BEATRICE
Oh no, he’s paying me just fine. It’s just that... well...

RECEPTIONIST
That’s good. He’s good about it, don’t worry. He just forgets some times.

BEATRICE
Did he ever tell you what he does?

RECEPTIONIST
As long as he’s got his business license and remembers to pay his workers, we don’t like to get into our customer’s private affairs.

BEATRICE
You don’t check up on him?

RECEPTIONIST
Every week. We just make sure you’re getting paid. If he’s doing something illegal, we recommend you notify the proper authorities.

BEATRICE
Who handles cruelty to animals?

RECEPTIONIST
I think it’s the park wardens these days. You may want to call the State Office, they could probably tell you.

BEATRICE
Thank you very much.

BEATRICE exits.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment