Saturday, February 20, 2010


Scene 9

Set: The Laboratory of Dr. Dendrobates.

BEATRICE is sitting at the desk, typing.

LIGHTS UP

DR. DENDROBATES enters.

DR. DENDROBATES
Good afternoon, Beatrice. Did you get the receipts for frog food out to the State today? I’ll have a hell of a time getting the company to reimburse me unless those receipts have been properly ratified by the State within the month I spend them.

BEATRICE
Yes sir, it went out just fine. The insurance agent said he would make sure it got filed just fine. No need to worry.

DR. DENDROBATES
Oh no, you have to take them to the Post Office yourself. You didn't leave them with Vern, did you? I'll have to call him and make sure he gets over there before the Post Office closes.

BEATRICE

I’ve just got this one last report to type before I’m done, I can pick them up again on my way home.

DR. DENDROBATES
That's good, very good. I think I’m going to lie down and watch the news, if you don’t mind letting yourself out.

BEATRICE
No, I’ll make sure to lock up.

DR. DENDROBATES
Good, there’s a lot of expensive equipment down in the basement I’d hate to see get stolen.

BEATRICE
Doctor, can I ask you a question?

DR. DENDROBATES
About what?

BEATRICE
Last night after you left, I saw you had left the door open there. I happened to glance inside, and I noticed that... that...

DR. DENDROBATES runs to the right door.

DR. DENDROBATES
You didn’t touch it, did you?

Before she can answer, DR. DENDROBATES exits, running.

DR. DENDROBATES
Oh no, oh no!

BEATRICE hesitates and exits through the front door.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment