Saturday, March 13, 2010


Scene 2

Set: Temporary Agency.

RECEPTIONIST is sitting at her desk talking on the phone.

LIGHTS UP

BEATRICE enters and stands in front of the partition. RECEPTIONIST talks a few more seconds before she acknowledges Beatrice. She rolls her eyes and gives Beatrice a nasty look.

RECEPTIONIST

I’ve got to go.

RECEPTIONIST hangs up the phone.

RECEPTIONIST (cont)
Can I help you?

BEATRICE

Hi, my name is Beatrice Catts. I got a message that it was urgent I come down here.

RECEPTIONIST thumbs through a stack of papers and pulls one from the middle.

RECEPTIONIST
Oh yes. It seems there hasn’t been an update on your file for some time. We wanted to know if you were still looking for work.

BEATRICE
Well... I’m not working right now. Why? Has something come in that might suit me?

RECEPTIONIST
Not particularly. Dr. Dendrobates called in yesterday. He asked if you were still available, said he would very much like to hire you back.

BEATRICE

I’m afraid I’d rather not.

RECEPTIONIST

Please keep in mind that a negative report could make it difficult to place you in a position. Employers take great consideration with each potential employee. They don’t like to see problem areas.

BEATRICE
That’s all right, I’m not worried about it.

RECEPTIONIST

We’ll keep your name on file for a year.

BEATRICE
Thank you very much.

Exit BEATRICE.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment