Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Scene 12

Set: The Laboratory of Dr. Dendrobates

BEATRICE is tied to the table. BEATRICE struggles.

LIGHTS UP

BEATRICE struggles. BEATRICE overturns the table and breaks free. BEATRICE opens cages and turns the aquariums on their sides.

BEATRICE
Go! Go, get out of here!

DR. DENDROBATES
enters.

DR. DENDROBATES
How did you get free?

BEATRICE
You're not going to kill the lab animals, are you?

DR. DENDROBATES
Every one of them is living proof of what Cryonex can do to the world. Free will to the Genome! Your body is a precision machine, crafted and smoothed over billions of years to attain something better than your average salamander. Mankind does not deserve the ability to undo what evolution has wrought. I'm doing this to make a better world, Beatrice.

BEATRICE hurls a cage at Dr. Dendrobates. DR. DENDROBATES lunges at Beatrice and chases her around the tables. BEATRICE overturns one, spilling an aquarium that shatters. DR. DENDROBATES avoids it, but is struck when BEATRICE pushes over a second. BEATRICE runs to the door.

DR. DENDROBATES
Look at my face, Beatrice! My chromosomes have decided of their own accord to deviate from their own mitosis and reshape inside of me. I'm better than a salamander!

BEATRICE moves to exit.

DR. DENDROBATES
We're heroes, Beatrice. Now die like one.

DR. DENDROBATES attacks Beatrice. He is limping. BEATRICE easily escapes.

DR. DENDROBATES
Don't go!

BEATRICE hesitates.

BEATRICE
An antidote. We can find one.

DR. DENDROBATES
The condition is irreversible. As we speak, I’m ceasing to be mammal.

Timers start to beep.

BEATRICE
What is that?

DR. DENDROBATES
I filled the dishwasher with pure sodium and set the timer. The alarms are so I don't miss it. You always said I couldn't even hear the telephone when it was sitting next to me. I don't expect you've got more than a minute to get out before enough oil is washed off to flash-fry the entire laboratory. I had a feeling you'd talk me out of this. You've wasted most of that time listening to me describe my evil plan. Go! Go!

Timers beep louder and faster. BEATRICE embraces Dr. Dendrobates, then runs out the door. DR. DENDROBATES takes the bloated bullfrog from its aquarium.

DR. DENDROBATES
Goodbye, Specimen Zero-Zero-Three-Three.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment