Friday, May 7, 2010

Jack the Ripper Doesn't Exist


CAST OF CHARACTERS

ABBERLINE A police inspector from Whitechapel. Retired in 1892. Is now a clockmaker.

KELLY A lunatic incarcerated for the murder of his wife. Escaped Broadmoor Asylum January, 1888, remained at large until he returned to Broadmoor and turned himself in.

ALICE A nurse at Broadmoor Asylum

2 Burly Guards 25-35 years old. Big.


SETTING: 1919. Broadmoor Asylum, England.
ACT 1

DARKNESS
2 BURLY GUARDS
Get up, you loony pig!

LIGHTS UP
The stage is a tiny cell in Broadmoor Asylum. KELLY lays on a filthy cot. He jumps up when there is a sound off stage of a rusty, metal door being unlocked and opened. Kelly hides an unseen object in his clothes. 2 BURLY GUARDS storm into Kelly’s cell carrying a straight jacket.

KELLY
What do you want? I didn’t do anything wrong!

2 BURLY GUARDS
You got a visitor. We need to make you look pretty.

KELLY
What? Who?

2 Burly Guards force him into the straight jacket and sit him in the metal chair next too the bed.

2 BURLY GUARDS
Shut up, you! Quit yer squirmin’, or I’m gonna smash your face!

KELLY
I don’t want to talk! Tell him I’m ill! Come back tomorrow.

2 BURLY GUARDS
I thought I told you to shut your mouth!

Enter ALICE.

ALICE
Get your hands off him!

Alice struggles with 2 Burly Guards until they release Kelly.

ALICE (cont)
He asked to see this man.

2 Burly Guards glare at Alice and exit. Alice kneels next to Kelly and puts her hands on his knees.

KELLY
What’s going on, Alice?

ALICE
It’s okay, Jimmy. Don’t worry. It’s that man you wrote to. Abberlane. Do you remember?

KELLY
Abberline?

ALICE
Yeah, that’s the one. Said he used to be a cop.

KELLY
First Class Inspector Frederick Abberline.

ALICE
These damn cops think they can come in here to knock you boys around whenever they feel!

KELLY
He’s waited years for this.

ALICE
Well, I ain’t gonna let him lay a finger on you.

KELLY
Wait ‘till you hear what I done.

ALICE
I don’t care about your wife, that was years ago. You ain’t like that now.

KELLY
He ain’t here about my wife.

ABBERLINE enters. He is cleanly dressed.

ABBERLINE
Is this James Kelly?

KELLY
You’re lookin’ old, Freddy.

ABBERLINE
(to Alice)
You can leave now.

ALICE
I ain’t goin’ nowhere!

ABBERLINE
Miss Crook, I think it might impact my interview if you stay.

ALICE
I read your papers. You ain’t a cop no more. You ain’t entitled to private interviews unless Mr. Kelly requests...

KELLY
I’d like to speak with Inspector Abberline alone, please.

ALICE
Jimmy, no! Be quiet. Let me talk!

ABBERLINE
I haven’t been an inspector for more than 25 years. I retired. I fix clocks these days. That’s why it took so long to answer your letter.

ALICE
Jimmy don’t know what he’s doing sometimes. He just writes things in them letters. It ain’t always true.

ABBERLINE
Did you read the one he sent me?

ALICE
Not that one, he said it was a secret. Dr. Taylor read it, though.

ABBERLINE
I’m sure Taylor would enjoy this. Why don’t you go find him?

ALICE
You let him run thirty years and didn’t care, now he turned hisself in you want to come sniffin’? He’s an old man now, leave him alone.

ABBERLINE
Queen Victoria herself trembled over these crimes. Could you please run along and fetch the Doctor?

ALICE
Yes, Inspector Abberline.

Alice exits. Abberline slowly turns circles around Kelly.

KELLY
That girl! She never listens to me.

ABBERLINE
Why should I believe you are Jack the Ripper.

KELLY
I suggest no such thing!

ABBERLINE
In your letter, you claimed to have murdered Katherine Eddowes. You murdered your wife in a similar fashion five years prior.

KELLY
Stuck Sarah right in the neck.

ABBERLINE

You escaped this asylum in February of 1888?

KELLY
Plenty of time to cut up them other girls in the Fall.

ABBERLINE
And then what? You needed a vacation?

KELLY
It was gettin’ warm over here. Thought I’d see what America was like.

ABBERLINE

I suppose you left a string of bodies there as well.

KELLY
We can leave it for those cops to figger out.

ABBERLINE
You tried turning yourself in three times. Looking to be the mistreated for a change?

KELLY
Oh no, not by her at least. Alice is real nice, she just don’t... hear what we’s sayin’, sometimes, Inspector?

ABBERLINE
I am not an inspector!

KELLY

How well you remember all that blood, Inspector?

ABBERLINE
Every last drop.

KELLY
Why isn’t Dr. Taylor here?

ABBERLINE
What is your story? Are you going tell me about, “Poor, Unfortunate Women,” and “Foggy Gas-lit Streets?” Let’s see if I can recite it with you, word-for-word.

KELLY
You ain’t even heard me yet!

ABBERLINE
I’ve heard it from every lunatic in the God-Forsaken Empire!

KELLY

But this time, you know it’s true.

ABBERLINE

I knew I was embarking on another wild goose chase.

KELLY
It must have been quite a trip. You came down here from Bournemouth, right?

ABBERLINE
Did you learn that here? At the asylum?

KELLY
Hell, took me two days to get down here from London. Course, I was walkin’. I’m sure you came much faster.

ABBERLINE

It still took me most of the morning.

KELLY
Why would you do that to yourself? I bet there’s a whole mess’a clocks that need fixin’.

ABBERLINE
A colleague of mine happened to be visiting the day your letter arrived. He was quite enamored with you back then.

KELLY
What got him so excited?

ABBERLINE
He seems to think you stuck around London after you escaped.

KELLY
But you wouldn’t even consider it.

ABBERLINE
If I were you, I’d be on a tramp ship for America the next day.

KELLY
I didn’t want to leave London, Inspector. I didn’t know anything else. I only went to America when I was finished here.

ABBERLINE

How could I forget? You had important work to do.

KELLY
If you don’t believe me, why’d you come down here?

ABBERLINE
Two hours of pleading and a bottle of expensive Scotch. Nothing more.

KELLY
And you know I ain’t tellin’ the truth?

ABBERLINE

I suppose I can tell an honest face.

KELLY

You didn’t know I was lying when you caught me.

ABBERLINE

I never caught Jack the Ripper.

KELLY
You caught me! You seen my face.

ABBERLINE

Only in the Penny Dreadful’s.

KELLY

Taylor probably didn’t even read that letter. I bet he’ll mess hisself when you tell him I’m Jack. The doctors have finally started rememberin’ my name.

ABBERLINE
Well, I don’t.

KELLY

You did! You looked me right in the eye!

ABBERLINE
You’re getting it all mixed up. That was P.C. Wilkins, remember? “Bloody Water Swirling Where Jack Washed His Hands!”

Abberline inspects the artwork stuck to the walls.

KELLY
Do you like my art collection, Inspector?

ABBERLINE
Did you draw these?

KELLY
Oh no. Each was painstakingly plucked from the garbage cans of the asylum art room. A few of them were quite costly, but I think they really warm up the room.

ABBERLINE
What do you like to draw, Mr. Kelly?

KELLY
Nothing more’n you’d expect, I assume. Lot’s of red and blacks. Mostly scribbles. Nothing you’d want to proudly display.

ABBERLINE

Pictures of Katherine Eddowes?

KELLY

I thought it was my wife, but I was wrong.

ABBERLINE

Most people pick Mary Kelly.

KELLY
Naw. Jack the Ripper got her, not me. I was in America by then.

ABBERLINE
He got Katherine Eddowes too.

KELLY

Shall we make a list, Inspector? I don’t know if I can remember them all.

ABBERLINE
I can fill in the gaps.

KELLY
I don’t want to talk about them other girls. Just Kate.

ABBERLINE

Perhaps I’ll be home early enough to see my wife.

KELLY
Kate wants to forgive us for what we did.

ABBERLINE

We’re here to discuss your crimes, not mine.

KELLY
My sins ain’t getting washed away until your hands is clean too, Inspector.

Alice enters.

ALICE
Dr. Taylor says this story is rubbish!

ABBERLINE
It’s good to know we’re on the same page.

ALICE
He wants to talk to you down in the guard office.

KELLY

That upsets the guards.

ALICE
I recommended they throw you right out on your coat tails!

ABBERLINE
Too bad. I guess this is good bye, Mr. Kelly. It was a pleasure speaking with you.

KELLY
You’ll be back.

ABBERLINE
Just sit and wait for me.

Abberline exits.

ALICE
Are you okay, Jimmy? He didn’t hurt you none, did he?

KELLY
We had a very pleasant chat.

ALICE
Don’t you worry none. This Jack the Ripper story is stupid. Ain’t no one gonna believe it.

KELLY
Is that what Dr. Taylor said?

ALICE

I didn’t find him, not yet. I think he’s over in the next building. You just gotta hang in there until I can find him, all right? Just don’t get too worked up.

KELLY
I’ll be okay. I’ll be okay.

ALICE

I can’t imagine how mean a cop has to be to get that old.

KELLY

He won’t stop ‘till everyone knows what I did.

ALICE
You didn’t do those things, Jimmy!

KELLY
You’d be amazed at what a man can do.

ALICE
I ain’t gonna let him do that to you.

KELLY
He won’t likely wait long for Dr. Taylor.

ALICE
You pipe down, okay?

Abberline enters.

ABBERLINE
Dr. Taylor must have gotten bored waiting for me. Or perhaps he went off to find the guards. I left a note I’d wait for him here.

ALICE
I think we should hold off on this discussion until he gets here.

KELLY
You should listen to her, Inspector. She’s got a good head on her shoulders.

ABBERLINE
I don’t think there is anything worth concerning him with.
KELLY
A regular Georgia Peach.

ALICE
Then you won’t mind waiting.
KELLY
That’s what they called girls like her in America.

ABBERLINE
I’d really like to be on my way. I was hoping you’d let me continue my interview.

KELLY
Do you know what a Georgia Peach is, Alice?

ALICE
(glaring at Abberline)
I’m afraid not.

KELLY
Right purdy li’l things, and smart as a whip, too.

ABBERLINE

I filled out the necessary forms to speak with this patient. I don’t have time to wait for some over-educated key-turner to give me permission a second time.

KELLY
I used to love walking down the dirt roads and just pluck them right off the trees.

ALICE
These men ain’t taking the burden of your mistakes!

KELLY
You take a big, meaty bite outta them, and let the juice run down your cheeks.

ABBERLINE
Your patient wrote to me, remember? If you would give me five minutes, I’d be happy to prove you right.

ALICE
I’ve seen what kind of treatment the cops administer in those five minutes.

KELLY
The Sun hits you in the face, and you just know somebody’s lookin’ out for ya.

ABBERLINE

It would waste a lot more of my time than yours.

KELLY

I’d give anything to have another one a them days!

ABBERLINE
James Kelly is not Jack the Ripper.

KELLY
Finally, he’s starting to catch on.

ALICE
Good! Go then! You’ve stirred up enough trouble. These men’ll be screamin’ up and down the halls tonight. If I’m lucky, I’ll be able to get them calmed down before Lights Out.

KELLY
He can’t leave now!

ABBERLINE
Watch me.

KELLY

You’d love it if the Ripper came back, just one more time. Maybe then you’ll be forgiven.

Abberline steps toward Kelly.

ALICE
Get away from him!

ABBERLINE
I have nothing to be forgiven for! Do you hear me? I did my job! I turned over each and every stone!

KELLY
You had me in your hand! You let me go!

ABBERLINE
You didn’t kill those women!

ALICE

Mr. Abberline! If you don’t calm down, I’ll get the guards!

ABBERLINE
Tell them there is going to be a mess to clean up.

Alice runs out

KELLY
You don’t remember me at all?

ABBERLINE
What am I supposed to remember you from?

KELLY
You was there the day I killed my wife.

ABBERLINE
I was in the Whitechapel for 29 years, do you want to know how many corpses I saw?

KELLY
You had me all alone in the back of the carriage. You said was gonna take me back to the jail and bash in my skull. Said Sarah’s mother would probably pay if I disappeared.

ABBERLINE

Is that what this is about? You called me down here to get even for a slight I don’t remember?

KELLY
You said you’d make sure I never hurt anyone again.

ABBERLINE
I should have done it.

KELLY
Why didn’t you?

ABBERLINE
Even in the East End, there are one or two people that still believe in the law.

KELLY
You would have prevented everything.

ABBERLINE
I could be enjoying lunch with my wife right now.

KELLY
Tell me about this ‘Double Event’ they talk about.

ABBERLINE
Shouldn’t I be interrogating you?

KELLY
Indulge me. You’ll be home faster.

ABBERLINE
Official assumption is that your attack on Elizabeth Stride was interrupted before you could satisfy yourself. You went on to kill Katherine Eddowes in Mitre Square less than an hour later.

KELLY

Jack the Ripper killed Long Liz, not me.

ABBERLINE
I thought you couldn’t remember the names.

KELLY

You’ve been chasing a specter all these years.

ABBERLINE
At least we agree on one thing.

KELLY
So you think he was interrupted? That’s why Kate got killed?

ABBERLINE
That’s what the newspapers say.

KELLY
Do you think it’s true?

ABBERLINE
I don’t care. I’m a clockmaker now.

KELLY
You knew what I did, Inspector. How could you not have realized it?

ABBERLINE

Is this your idea of a joke? You were fading in my mind by the time your wife was buried. Why would I think of you five years later?

Kelly laughs.

ABBERLINE (cont)
What’s so funny?

KELLY
All that runnin’! All that time I thought you was hot on my tail! You were so stupid!

ABBERLINE
I’m not too feeble to put your head through a wall!

KELLY
You didn’t know! You let it happen! You was so stupid! You let it happen!

Abberline grabs Kelly by the front of his jacket and shakes him furiously.

ABBERLINE
Shut up! Shut up!

KELLY
All that blood is on your hands!

Alice enters.

ABBERLINE
Shut up!

Alice pounds Abberline’s back.

ALICE
Leave him alone!

Abberline releases and backs away.

ABBERLINE
I don’t know what came over me.

ALICE
You must be real strong to beat a man that’s tied to a chair! Is this how you do your police work?

Alice inspects Kelly

ALICE
Are you all right, Jimmy? Did he hurt you?

KELLY
Where’s the guards?

ABBERLINE
He’ll watch his mouth if he wants to remain in one piece.

Alice turns on Abberline.

ALICE
This one ain’t done nothing to you! I ain’t letting you hurt him.

KELLY
He came here to kill me, Alice!

ABBERLINE
I’m afraid I don’t have sympathy for a man that ripped his wife to pieces!

ALICE
I’ll put you out the doors myself!

KELLY
You’ve seen what they do, Alice! You’ll get it just as bad if you get in his way!

ABBERLINE
You didn’t hear what he said.
ALICE
That man’s out of his mind! You’re upset over what he said?

KELLY
He said he’d make sure I never hurt anyone again.

ABBERLINE
I teased him! That’s why I’m here! He held a grudge for 35 years because I teased him!

ALICE
That gives you the right to bash his skull in?

ABBERLINE
I’m sorry, Miss Crook. I was wrong to touch your patient. Could you please get Dr. Taylor? I’d like to present my report.

ALICE
You can’t just shuffle me off like a serving wench! I ain’t leaving you alone with him.

ABBERLINE
Miss Crook, please. I’m sorry. You have my word, I’m not going to hurt him. I swear.

KELLY
Hurry, Alice! A cop’s word ain’t worth much! Won’t be long before he remembers his promise.

Alice exits.

ABBERLINE
I’ll wait in the guardhouse if you’d like.

KELLY
All this time, I thought you had it figured out. All this time, I’ve been waiting for you to spring the trap. It was right in front of your face, and you never got it.

ABBERLINE
And I suppose that makes you smarter than me?

KELLY
Oh no, Inspector, not at all! You’re a brilliant policeman, I’m lowly street-trash. That’s why you were so quick to capture me. I don’t know what I would have done if I had to spend thirty years eluding you. I might have to turn myself in!

ABBERLINE

Nurse Crook won’t be able to pull me off you next time.

KELLY
Such a sweet girl. A regular beacon in the darkness, yes she is.

ABBERLINE
If she saw what I saw, she wouldn’t be so sympathetic.

KELLY
She shouldn’t be in this place. None of the doctors even treats us so nice. She should be someplace clean. Someplace safe.

ABBERLINE
Can we get back on track?

KELLY
She don’t deserve to see the things that happen here.

ABBERLINE

Tell me what happened with Elizabeth Stride. Why’d you stop?

KELLY
I don’t know nothin’ bout Long Liz. I was busy thinkin’ about Kate.
ABBERLINE
Really got your money’s worth on that one, did you?

KELLY
(smugly)
Oh yeah. It was great.

ABBERLINE
Got your hands good and dirty.

KELLY
That bitch... She wouldn’t shut her trap.

ABBERLINE
The others were nothing compared to Kate.

KELLY
I don’t even know how she found out about my wife, but she wouldn’t let it go. ‘I bet you’s Jack the Ripper! I bet you’s Jack the Ripper!’ Well, I showed her. I was Jack the Ripper.

ABBERLINE
Did you buy them? Was Katherine Eddowes a whore?

KELLY
(Screaming.)
I didn’t kill the others! (Calms) Just Kate. She might’a liked her gin some, but she wasn’t no whore, or I’da known.

ABBERLINE
How did you get those girls?

KELLY
You was at my door the next day. You was askin’ me all those questions. Where was I? When did I last see her? I thought for sure you’d recognized me.

ABBERLINE
It was all the same. It got worse and worse. It was the same man.

KELLY
I was on a ship for America the next day. All that runnin’... I thought you was right behind me. I thought for sure you knew... I hadn’t even changed my name!

ABBERLINE
There was only one killer. There was one Jack the Ripper.

KELLY
I can save us both, Freddy.

ABBERLINE
My salvation is in the hands of a man tied to a chair.

KELLY
What else do you got?

ABBERLINE
Nothing.

KELLY
Untie me.

ABBERLINE
No.

KELLY
You scared?

ABBERLINE
Of you?

KELLY
I’m a little old man, what could I possibly do?

ABBERLINE
It wasn’t you.

KELLY
I got something to show you.

ABBERLINE
What?

KELLY
Not till you let me out.

ABBERLINE
No.

KELLY
I guess you’ll never know.

ABBERLINE
I knew a long time ago. That’s why I quit.

KELLY
That why you started fixing clocks?

ABBERLINE
It’s more satisfying than police work.

KELLY
Why’s that?

ABBERLINE
You have your secrets, I have mine.

KELLY
And I’m ready to tell.

ABBERLINE
Show it to Dr. Taylor, I’m going home.

KELLY
I got Jack the Ripper’s knife under my bunk.

ABBERLINE
You’re a liar.

KELLY
No joke! The knife I cut up Kate with. I saved it all these years.

ABBERLINE
You’d never get it in here.

KELLY
I walked right past the guards. I just told ‘em I was an ex patient checking myself in. No one even looked me over.

ABBERLINE
Show me.

KELLY
I keep it under my mattress.

Abberline looks under the mattress and lifts a foot-long piece of jagged wood.

KELLY
If one of the other patients came after me, I could put out an eye.

ABBERLINE
I’m letting the guards know about it.

KELLY
They won’t be happy with it. Luckily, my bones are weak, so they can’t beat me up too bad.

ABBERLINE
I’ll be sure to relate your self-defense story.

KELLY
They won’t care none. Alice may have thrown it away and said nothing, but the guards will be sure to tell Dr. Taylor after they have their fun.

ABBERLINE
If I told Nurse Crook, she might take my side.

KELLY
No way. She wouldn’t hear it. I could probably threaten to stick it in her, and she’d say I was joking.

ABBERLINE
She doesn’t seem the least bit suited to deal with men like you.

KELLY
The asylum is so short-staff that some people are admitted as administration rather than patients. She could get herself hurt.

ABBERLINE
I should have a talk with Dr. Taylor.

Abberline pulls a picture off the wall and examines it closely.

KELLY
Put her with the smaller animals.

ABBERLINE
I don’t imagine she’ll be here much longer.

KELLY
Alice is all we got in this place! You can’t take her away.

ABBERLINE
Watch me.

KELLY
That ain’t Jack’s knife, Inspector.

Abberline looks over his shoulder, angry.

ABBERLINE
I’m not an...!

KELLY
This is.

Kelly tears open his straight jacket, revealing a long knife in his hand. He attacks Abberline. The two struggle and Abberline easily overpowers Kelly, taking the knife. Abberline hesitates a moment, and stabs Kelly.

KELLY (cont)
Kate forgives you.

Kelly dies. Alice enters followed by 2 Burly Guards.

ALICE
What are you doing?!

2 BURLY GUARDS
Now there! Get off’a him!

2 Burly Guards pull Abberline off Kelly.

ALICE
Get him out! Get him to Dr. Taylor!

2 Burly Guards drag off Kelly’s body.

ALICE (cont)
What did you do?

ABBERLINE
He had a knife in his jacket. He cut himself free.

ALICE
Of course he did.

ABBERLINE
He attacked me!

ALICE
I check his cell every day, I’d know if he had a knife.

ABBERLINE
I’ll be speaking with Dr. Taylor about your cleaning habits.

ALICE
You’re a great man, Inspector. Great men do as they please with these savages.

ABBERLINE
I’m telling you the truth.

ALICE
Don’t worry. Dr. Taylor always believes that one, no matter how many times he’s heard it.

ABBERLINE
That knife was going to end up in you.

ALICE
It was one of a thousand.

ABBERLINE
Kate forgives me.

ALICE
I’ll tell whoever asks.

ABBERLINE
No. Don’t tell anyone. Let us sleep. Tell them Frederick Abberline fixed clocks. He did his best as a policeman. Then he fixed clocks.

ALICE
I suppose fixin’ clocks is easier, ain’t it?

ABBERLINE
Not always. Sometimes I come across a clock that’s beyond my capabilities. I’ll work on it all day long, but there’s nothing I can do.

ALICE
So you throw it away.

ABBERLINE
I can’t expect you to understand.

Abberline looks at her a few seconds, shakes his head and exits.

LIGHTS DOWN

“Jack the Ripper Doesn’t Exist” was directed by Judy McMahon at Roberson Museum & Science Center, August 19 & 20, 2006.

James Osborne played Abberline.
Rick Mertens played Kelly
Terri Laurino played Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment