Friday, September 18, 2009

The Great World Leader ACT1Scene1


The Great World Leader
by Paul Juser

ACT I Scene 1

We are in an office where a huge oak desk dominates the room. A throne of a chair is behind it, with ornately carved wooden chairs around it. On the walls are delicate paintings of men in suits. There are two entrances, one behind the great wooden desk. Next to the door is a large window, overlooking a courtyard. It is morning. Enter two men in janitor uniforms, pushing a vacuum cleaner and a cleaning cart. They are FRANTZ and KIMBLE, two simple men They busy themselves about the office, wiping down this, and scrubbing that, running the vacuum and such. Frantz is behind the desk, watching Kimble clean. Kimble takes great pride in his work. Frantz mocks Kimbles his motions. He bores after several seconds of this, and polishes the giant desk. Frantz stops when he comes across the book, running a finger slowly down the cover. He looks over at Kimble.

FRANTZ
Look at this, Kimble, he left his book out again.

Kimble stops cleaning and looks up.

KIMBLE
What book is that, Frantz?

He flashes a dimwit’s smile and starts to bumble towards the desk.

FRANTZ
The Prime Minister’s journal. Usually, he’s careful to keep it locked up...

Kimble reaches the desk and slaps his hands down on it.

KIMBLE
Don’t you dare, Frantz! You keep your eyes out of there! I swear I’ll tell Quinlen, and you will lose your job!.

FRANTZ
Think about it. We could read what he was thinking when he...

KIMBLE
Don’t say it!

FRANTZ
When he released the LPDM

Kimble grabs the volume away.

KIMBLE
That’s not for you to know, either. Stay out of his journals!

FRANTZ
Think about it. The single deadliest weapon the world has ever seen, and we have in our hands... The private thoughts of the only man to have ever used it.

KIMBLE
No, Frantz. You and me... We’re trusted with we are entrusted with taking care of this place. We have to keep it clean. You don’t want to destroy this trust with we are entrusted, do you?

FRANTZ
Trust. P’sha! What reason do I have to trust that old man? What has he ever done for us? He doesn’t even know our names! You want to put your trust in that man?

KIMBLE
Frantz, we are being paid to do a job. If we don’t have those paychecks, I can’t give my rent money to Missus Halligan, and I won’t have a place to live. I also won’t have any money to eat with. We can’t lose our jobs. Don’t make me lose my job Frantz!

FRANTZ
Don’t worry, you’re not going to lose your job.

He reaches out and tries to take the book from Kimble.

I’m just going to take a little peek.

KIMBLE
Oh, no you don’t!

FRANTZ
Come on! (Beat) Haven’t you ever wondered what it said in there?

KIMBLE
Nope.

FRANTZ
Of course you wouldn’t, you’re just a dimwit. That’s kind of funny, isn’t it? Me getting stuck here cleaning with you, a dimwit.

KIMBLE
I’m not a dimwit.

FRANTZ
Who do they expect me to have a conversation with? I mean, really? Am I supposed to just talk to the desks and the vacuum cleaners all day long?

KIMBLE
I’m not a dimwit, Frantz!

FRANTZ
‘Hello, Mr. Desk, how are you doing tonight? Did you read that Kurt Vonnegut novel I gave you? No, of course you didn’t, you’re a desk!’ Kimble? Did you read it, of course not, you’re a dimwit.

KIMBLE
You didn't give me no book. I'm telling Quinlen you're picking on me again! You know what she said! If you do it again, you’re going to be in trouble!

FRANTZ
Oh, I’m scared.

KIMBLE
Big trouble.

FRANTZ
What are they going to do, fire me? I can go get a fulfilling job, that would suck.

KIMBLE
You’d better stop.

FRANTZ
Then let me see the book. I’ll stop making fun of you if you let me see the book.

KIMBLE
No.

FRANTZ
Why not?

KIMBLE
Because it’s wrong.

FRANTZ
Oh there is no need to bring two-valued orientation into this mess. What’s next, cliches? Personally, I’m horrified at your behavior. Now give that to me.

He snatches the book away from Kimble.

KIMBLE
Put that down, Frantz.

FRANTZ
You’re not the boss of me.

Frantz grotesquely unfolds his arms and opens the cover of the journal. There is an audible and ominous cracking of the spine that makes Kimble jump an embrace himself.

KIMBLE
You know this room is on camera, probably with microphones too, Frantz.

FRANTZ
Yeah, but with only one guard watching it, and I drink with him.

Kimble walks toward the door.

KIMBLE
Please, Frantz, at least do it while I’m not here. Come back later, on your break, I don’t want to get caught doing this.

FRANTZ
No access.

KIMBLE
What if the Prime Minister comes in?

FRANTZ
He doesn’t get out of bed until after lunch. Nothing short of an attack on our shores will get him away from that damn television.

KIMBLE
I think it’s 2PM now, Frantz.

Frantz stares at Kimble for several seconds. He shakes his head.

FRANTZ
Then you’re dumber than I thought. If it were after 2PM, I’d be in the pavilion outside, taking a nap.

KIMBLE
I just think it’s wrong.

Frantz turns the first page, then flips through.

FRANTZ
Let’s see... Go back twenty today. What was he thinking that day, while all those people were dying?

KIMBLE
Stop it, Frantz.

FRANTZ
Suffering.

KIMBLE
I mean it.

FRANTZ
In agony.

KIMBLE
Frantz!

FRANTZ
Their bodies practically melting away

KIMBLE
That’s it, Frantz, I’m going to find Quinlen.

Kimble stomps to the door.

FRANTZ
All right, I’ll stop, don’t go. Come on.

KIMBLE
Too late.

Kimble yanks open the door to reveal AIDEN QUARTERMASS standing on the other side. He is in his early thirties, and dressed in a suit. His eyes fall on Kimble.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
What are you doing?

KIMBLE
Mr. Quartermass... I... Uh... I’m... I’m sorry, I... Uh... I...

Frantz steps forward.

FRANTZ
Mr. Quartermass, sir, we were just cleaning up, and Kimble found the Prime Minister left his journal sitting out. He was going to get security to make sure no one read it.

KIMBLE
Yeah.

Aiden eyes them suspiciously.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Give me the book.

Frantz nearly falls, running to give the book to Aiden.

Now get out.

Frantz and Kimble hastily collect their cleaning supplies and run out the door, slamming it behind them. He goes to the desk and sits down in the throne of a chair. Aiden stares at the book.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
He left his journal out again.

Aiden starts to open the cover, but an intercom buzzes. A nasal secretary voice speaks through it.

SECRETARY (OS)
Mr. Prime Minister, sir.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
No, Terry, it’s just me.

SECRETARY (OS)
Oh! Good morning, Aiden, how are you?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
I’m fine, what do you need?

SECRETARY (OS)
The Minister Kup is here, he said the Prime Minister called him in.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Yes Terry, that’s fine. Send him in. (Beat) Can you call over to the house staff and have them make sure the Prime Minister is out of bed?

SECRETARY (OS)
Yes sir.

Aiden leans back in the chair and knits his hands behind his head. Enter MANASSAH KUPP, a middle-aged man with grizzled features. He is dressed in combat fatigues, and is smoking a cigar. He has an ornamental saber and a pistol on his belt. He looks at Aiden and scowls.

MANASSAH KUPP
The old man lets you sit in his chair these days, Aiden?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Please, there are some days that if my ass doesn’t touch this seat, no one’s does. How are you, Manassah?

Aiden extends his hand and Manassah shakes it.

MANASSAH KUPP
I’m doing fine, I’ll be doing much better in a few hours. Where is the old man?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
His assistants should be shuffling him over here as we speak. Have you been briefed?

MANASSAH KUPP
Only on official reports, what’s the real story.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Last night, insurgents from Tarnikesh seized a banana factory owned by the Prime Minister. They are upset over alleged abuses against workers, and are threatening to kill the entire management department if we don't remove all troops and return Tarnikesh to a free state.

MANASSAH KUPP
What is our position?

Aiden leans forward.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
The Prime Minister declared he will not negotiate

MANASSAH KUPP
You want me to attack an banana factory?

Aiden wags his finger.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
You are again failing to see the big picture, General Kupp. If we ignore a rebel uprising in one of the colony, the next day, rebels will be rising up all over the Empire. We can’t allow our own citizens to be put in danger from this crisis.

MANASSAH KUPP
Now you’re speaking my language.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
The Prime Minister wants the ruling body taken down before they can threaten the security of our nation.

MANASSAH KUPP
And what kind of limitations will I have.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Few. This mission is far too important, we have to end this threat as soon as possible.

MANASSAH KUPP
LPDM?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
No.

MANASSAH KUPP
Why not?

Aiden stares at him for several seconds.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
That weapon will kill more of our people than the rebels.

MANASSAH KUPP
Since when did that bother him?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Since he started asking me for the final decision.

Manassah chuckles, but Aiden Quartermass is clearly bothered by this answer.

MANASSAH KUPP
So, when do I start?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
The Prime Minister wants troops in place by this evening. Once he gets here, he can sign the order, and you can start moving. I should have everything in order by the time he gets here.

MANASSAH KUPP
Excellent. For the glory of our nation.

Aiden looks at the desk. He speaks quietly.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Good.

MANASSAH KUPP
If you’ll excuse me, Mr. Quartermass, I need to call my aides to arrange this.

Aiden doesn’t look at him.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Very good.

Manassah exits the office, leaving Aiden alone. Aiden sits quietly for several seconds, his fingers in a pyramid in front of his face, staring past them into space.

Two million people killed in unbearable agony.

He is silent several seconds longer and then turns to the intercom.

Terry?

SECRETARY (OS)
Yes, Mr. Quartermass?

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
Find out where the Prime Minister is.

SECRETARY (OS)
Yes sir.

Aiden lets go of the intercom.

AIDEN QUARTERMASS
How could anyone willingly use a weapon like that?


He gets up from the chair, paces around the room briefly, and exits through the door. Lights go down. End Scene 1


Go to Scene 2

No comments:

Post a Comment