Thursday, July 21, 2016

Two Winters Past




INT. LOGAN'S CHAMBER. MORNING.

LOGAN awakens to darkness and a pounding on his door. KOTE enters with a candle.

LOGAN: What time is it?

KOTE: Before dawn.

LOGAN: The scouts?

KOTE: One has returned.

LOGAN dresses quickly.

LOGAN: Stokes sent you?

KOTE: He is questioning the scout with Captain Tartel.

LOGAN’s room is in a dark and quiet hallway. Footsteps echo as the two walk. KOTE leads LOGAN down stairs to the basement.

LOGAN: They brought him downstairs?

KOTE: The other captains will be arriving soon.

LOGAN: To the Preacher?

KOTE: To Stokes. You are going to the Preacher. You will need armor.

At a door marked ART ROOM, KOTE knocks and enters, followed by LOGAN. A pear-shaped man with whispy white hair and a baseball cap is seated on a bench by the window. He is the PREACHER.

PREACHER: Nice to see you, Logan.

LOGAN: I just got back tonight.

PREACHER: And you were given selection?

KOTE: I will be in the chapel.

KOTE exits.

LOGAN: I don’t understand.

PREACHER: The Captains claim righteousness, but truly are vain. They squabble and parade to promote each other while secretly wanting to be Barabas themselves. If they cannot decide, I will make that decision for them. I chose who I saw worthy.

LOGAN: I’m not even a Captain.

PREACHER: But our greatest ranger and gatherer of supplies and recruits. You brought three more, I’m told.

LOGAN: An old man and a woman needed to be killed.

PREACHER: Women will have their worth.

LOGAN: I lost two men on my return.

PREACHER: Many more will be dead in a week’s time.

LOGAN: I don’t believe we can hold the walls.

PREACHER: I saw you beat the Devil, Logan. My visions are never wrong.

LOGAN: Will you come tell that to Villoff?

PREACHER: I see a magick sword in your hand. I see the beast falling before you.

LOGAN: The army from Damascus?

PREACHER: I see you for a far greater glory. (Shakes his head.) You must go. See to your captains. They need your guidance.

PREACHER ushers LOGAN out the door and locks it. LOGAN is alone. Hallway is lit only by a distant torch. LOGAN stares at the door a moment before slowly walking away. He goes up the stairs to a door marked CONFERENCE ROOM; Angry voices can be heard within. LOGAN enters.



No comments:

Post a Comment