Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Scene 6

Set: Laboratory of Dr. Dendrobates.

DR. DENDROBATES is sitting at his desk sobbing gently.

LIGHTS UP

BEATRICE enters.

BEATRICE
Dr. Dendrobates, what’s wrong?

DR. DENDROBATES looks at her a few seconds, still sobbing gently.

DR. DENDROBATES
Beatrice! I knew you’d come.

BEATRICE
You said you were dying! What’s the matter? What’s going on?

DR. DENDROBATES
He’s dying, Beatrice! I don’t think he’s going to make it.

BEATRICE
Who are you talking about.

DR. DENDROBATES
Specimen Zero Zero Three Three. He tried to kill himself last night. I found him just in time before the cat could finish him off.

BEATRICE
He’s all right?

DR. DENDROBATES
I stitched him up, and I think he’ll make it, but there is a lot less of him.

BEATRICE

Why would a bullfrog commit suicide?

DR. DENDROBATES gets up and starts to pace around the room, talking faster and faster as he goes.

DR. DENDROBATES
It appears he rolled in just such a way that put too much pressure on a section of the table that was already stressed to its maximum capacity, and shattered the front leg, sliding him right onto the floor where the cat likes to sleep. The tank propelled him right onto the bed. It’s a wonder the cat wasn’t killed by the force of the blow.

BEATRICE

What did you do to the cat.

DR. DENDROBATES
I put him out for the afternoon. I’m sure the filthy bastard will be slinking around here some time after sundown, letting me stew.

BEATRICE
But why would he do it?

DR. DENDROBATES
How should I know? I cater to his every need, feed him by hand, break up his food so he doesn't have to chew.

DR. DENDROBATES considers Beatrice for a moment.

DR. DENDROBATES (cont)
I’m so glad you’re back, Beatrice. They didn’t behave like this when you were here. I sent a check out yesterday, your first week’s check in advance, to get you set back up. Will you help me, Beatrice?

BEATRICE
I’ll have to give that cat a good talking to.

DR. DENDROBATES

Thank Heavens! I’ve been meaning to do it myself.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment