Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Scene 5

Set: Temporary Agency Office.

LIGHTS UP.

Long pause.

BEATRICE enters. She stops at the "WAIT HERE" sign. She waits. She looks around. She peers over the partition. RECEPTIONIST enters.

RECEPTIONIST
Can I help you?

BEATRICE
(startled)
I'm Beatrice Catts, I was wondering if there had been any call-backs from potential employers, and...

RECEPTIONIST
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Let me get to my desk. What did you say your name was?

BEATRICE
Beatrice Catts, miss.

RECEPTIONIST
And you're sure you've filled out an application?

BEATRICE
Yes, I've been working for you a while now. I haven't heard anything since Dr. Dendrobates let me go.

RECEPTIONIST
I'm sorry, Miss Catts, but these are tough times.

BEATRICE
I know, but...

RECEPTIONIST
And it is very difficult for an employer to have confidence in your type of a record.

BEATRICE
You said I'd be fine!

RECEPTIONIST
Our clients have very high standards, Miss Catts. I suggest you sit at home and wait for our call another day.

LIGHTS DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment