Friday, April 2, 2010

The Witch King's Sword, Episode 9


Episode 9

MALLIK looms over CHLOE ISIS and VALENTINE, herding them to the beach. Closeup of Mallik's red eyes glowing beneath the hood of his cloak.

MALLIK
It’s so nice to finally meet the two of you.

VALENTINE backs away, shielding Chloe.

VALENTINE
You don’t know anything about us!

A tentacle pokes out from under MALLIK's cloak.

MALLIK
I don’t? I’ve been following you since a Glithval smashed up one a my favorite places for stew. Why would he do that, I wonder? It turns out two kids and a talking bird skipped out on a bill. Two thieving kids I couldn’t care less about. How do you say that?

CHLOE ISIS
What?

MALLIK
That phrase: I couldn’t care less. I don’t think most people say it that way. How do you think it should be said?

VALENTINE
I could care less.

CHLOE ISIS
Rubin! Be quiet, he’s going to kill us.

MALLIK
You could care less. Doesn’t sound right to me. That implies the article means something to you. I couldn’t care less about two thieving kids. A talking bird, on the other hand. That cold be valuable, don’t you think?

VALENTINE
We have no idea what you’re talking about.

MALLIK
That’s good. That’s what I mean. Tell me I didn’t see you with my own eyes some skinny bird tuck you in a shed and fly away. That’s when I stopped thinking this story was worth my time. It’s silly.

CHLOE ISIS
We haven’t seen Dahooty in days!

MALLIK
That’s more like it.

VALENTINE
Shhh!

CHLOE ISIS
It’s okay, Rubin. The bird betrayed us and we haven’t seen us in days. You can ask Erby.

VALENTINE

Where did Erby go?!

MALLIK
Never trust a troll to stick around when an opportunity to run comes up.

CHLOE ISIS

We haven’t seen him, Mr. Mallik. That’s the truth.

MALLIK
I never said stop walking. Get in the boat.

VALENTINE
Not a chance.

A tentacle slides out from beneath MALLIK’s cloak, wraps around VALENTINE’s waist and lifts him ten feet in the air. An object streaks in, collides with Mallik and lands in a tumbling ball of TREMONT AYERS. The two roll to a stop with TREMONT on top. Med shot looking up as TREMONT lifts his arms over his head, balls them into a single fist, and slams them down on MALLIK (OS). Tentacles snake into the shot and wrap around Tremont’s torso. Wide shot as TREMONT is lifted into the air and hurled into the jungle. MALLIK stands.

MALLIK
(to CHLOE ISIS)
Stay here.

In a single bound, MALLIK leaps up the beach to the line of jungle, following Tremont.

VALENTINE
Let’s go!

CHLOE ISIS
Wait! Come with me!

VALENTINE
You want to go back in the jungle with them?! Come back!

VALENTINE gets out of the boat and races down the trail into the jungle following CHLOE ISIS.

VALENTINE
Chloe! Where are you going?

CHLOE ISIS runs into the clearing to the cage.

VALENTINE
Chloe! Come on, we have to get out of here! Nobody’s at the boat, we can escape!

CHLOE ISIS searches the age for a door, finds it and unlatches the lock. The crocodile is motionless as she enters, picks it up and returns to VALENTINE.

VALENTINE
What are you doing?

CHLOE ISIS
I’m taking him with us.

VALENTINE
You can’t take him, he’s a monster.

CHLOE ISIS
He'll die if we leave him here.

VALENTINE
You think you’re going to keep it? You heard Erby, they grow ten feet long.

The crocodile thrashes, but cannot reach Chloe to bite her.

CHLOE ISIS
What if he made that up too?

VALENTINE
He didn’t make that up. Put it down, let’s go! Our lives are in danger.

CHLOE ISIS
You’re being over-dramatic. I’ll let him go in the river, I’m not going to keep him.

DAHOOTY (OS)
Girl okay? Boy is alive.

DAHOOTY the ibis hops to them from the jungle.


Cut to...

Wide shot of a jungle. TREMONT crashes into the shot, rolls into a tree, followed by MALLIK, who lands on top of Tremont, wrapping tentacles around his neck. TREMONT pulls each free, but they are quickly replaced. After a few seconds of struggling, TREMONT gains leverage, knocks MALLIK off balance, and gets to his feet. With MALLIK still clinging, TREMONT spins twice and slams Mallik's head into a tree. MALLIK falls in a heap and is motionless a moment, his brown cloak flopping open to reveal a tangled mass of tentacles within. MALLIK shakes his head and slowly stands. TREMONT backs away defensively.

MALLIK
I ain't figgerin' you're chasing these kids for a talking bird, are you?

TREMONT
I've got no intention of telling you what I want them for.

MALLIK grabs a thin tree in two tentacles and tears it out of the ground, roots spraying clouds of dirt as they tear free. MALLIK swings, striking TREMONT first with the branches, then with the roots. TREMONT is knocked over, but draws his sword as he stands and slices off the roots when MALLIK swings again. MALLIK hurls the remains at TREMONT and backs away.

MALLIK
Gonna throw that sword? Come on, I dare ya. Betcha I can knock it out of the air. You ain't got nothing you can toss that I can't outdo.

TREMONT
We shall see.

MALLIK
I know you, Butcher. You wouldn't'a thought twice about sticking me if you thought you had a chance'a succeeding.

MALLIK and TREMONT circle each other.

MALLIK
These kids been asking about the Dark Man.

TREMONT
The Dark Man was killed.

MALLIK
So I'm supposed to believe your boss just wants a new coat like he's sayin. I don't buy it. You tink I'm stupid, Butcher?

TREMONT thrusts at MALLIK, who subtly sidesteps.

MALLIK
I know it's hard to believe he's spent some years right under my nose too, but even a Glithval can make a mistake, can't ya? You want to find your old friend, you need me.

TREMONT waves his hand and two trees break at the base, slamming down on MALLIK, trapping him in the branches.

Cut to...

CHLOE ISIS and VALENTINE are standing against the cage. Zoom out to reveal DAHOOTY standing in front of them

VALENTINE
You better fly away right now, or someone on this island will ring your scrawny neck.

DAHOOTY
Dahooty friend! When Dahooty help enough to be trusted?

CHLOE ISIS
Give him a chance, Rubin!

VALENTINE
Chance? He sold us to trolls!

DAHOOTY
Dahooty leave to get fish. Come back and find trolls leading away. Dahooty follow and make sure you're safe.

VALENTINE
Safe? We were tied up in a basement! We were chased through tombs by Glithvals!

DAHOOTY
And Dahooty watch at all times! No harm come with Dahooty on patrol.

VALENTINE
If Erby hadn't found us, we've be dead ten times over.

DAHOOTY
That troll work for Mallik. You should be careful.

CHLOE ISIS
Mallik?

DAHOOTY
Bad man. You need to stay away.

VALENTINE
Erby's been helping us escape Mallik.

CHLOE ISIS

Now you love Erby!

DAHOOTY
Troll bring you here for Mallik.

VALENTINE

That can't be true, can it?

DAHOOTY

All true.

CHLOE ISIS
That's got to be a mistake, isn't it? Erby has helped us all the way.

VALENTINE
Plug your ears, Chloe. You believe everything you're told. I don't trust either of them.

CHLOE ISIS
I don't believe everything I'm told!

VALENTINE
You're gullible.

CHLOE ISIS
I'm not!

DAHOOTY
Glithval not hold Mallik long, you should steal boat while you have chance.

VALENTINE hesitates.

VALENTINE
That's the first good advice I've heard in a week. You're not coming with us.

Cut to...

Tight on TREMONT's face as he takes a deep breath. Zoom out as a boulder slams into TREMONT, smashing to dust and knocking him to the ground.

MALLIK
If you ain't got what it takes to top me, how you gonna top the Dark Man?

TREMONT charges MALLIK, chopping twice overhead and missing both times.

MALLIK
You need me. You and your buddies can't do this without me.

TREMONT
How do you figure?

MALLIK
I've got money, spies, troops. If I tell Lord Altemont he's been harboring the Dark Man, he'd commit all his resources to bringing Ophalius to justice.

TREMONT
Only the Emperor can dispense justice.

MALLIK
I ain't seen much of his justice around here in some time. That's why you should be with us, Tremont. You're a man of action. Konakarse is no complement to you, sitting on his throne, pretending he's still honored. Come with me, and we'll drag the Dark Man home in chains.

TREMONT
And what of Marshal Teppins?

MALLIK
That's your decision to make. I sure ain't putting him in charge of my troops, that's for sure. I don't expect he'll consider my offer the same way you will.

TREMONT swings twice, broad sweeps, driving MALLIK into the tree line.

MALLIK
You walk up to the Dark Man, and he's going to break you and Teppins apart piece by piece and toss what's left in the Great River. He's a mad dog, you need to trap him like a mad dog. I can have 100 men to the Ox Ford by morning, three times that by the afternoon.

TREMONT
Grent would sweep away 300 men like dust.

MALLIK
But he won't. Altemont would send more and more. How many lives are worth the loss to avenge those he's already slain? If the Dark Man opens his door and sees 100 men waiting to take him in, he won't fight.

TREMONT
I prefer my method.

MALLIK
Then die.

MALLIK leaps, cloak billowing out, engulfing TREMONT.

Cut to...

EXT. RIVERBANK. TWILIGHT.

CHLOE ISIS and VALENTINE run down the path. CHLOE ISIS is carrying the crocodile under her arm. VALENTINE stops running and puts out his arm to stop CHLOE ISIS.

CHLOE ISIS
What?!

VALENTINE points at the boat. ERBY is sitting inside. STEFAN is leaning against the mast.

CHLOE ISIS
What are we going to do?

VALENTINE
Who do you trust? Erby or Dahooty?

CHLOE ISIS
We have no other way off this island.

The baby crocodile thrashes in Chloe's arms and chirps.

VALENTINE
Drop that thing. Let it go.

CHLOE ISIS
He wants to go in the river.

VALENTINE
Erby isn't going to let you release his pet.

ERBY

Mister Rubin! Miss Chloe! Come this way, please!

VALENTINE
We don't have much choice. If he's not on our side, he doesn't know we suspect him.

CHLOE ISIS
Maybe there's another boat.

ERBY
Mister Rubin! Miss Chloe!

VALENTINE
Just play it cool. Put that thing down!

CHLOE ISIS shoves the baby crocodile in her handbag. It thrashes a few times and is quiet.

ERBY
Mister Rubin! Miss Chloe! Hurry!

VALENTINE and CHLOE ISIS reach the felucca and STEFAN helps them on board.

ERBY
You are most lucky to have been arriving when you did. My cousin and I were just about to set sail. We figured if the Glithval didn't get you, then Mallik would.

VALENTINE
What is a Mallik?

ERBY and STEFAN jump into the ankle deep water and push the boat to dislodge it from the mud.

ERBY
No one is quite sure what he once was, but now he is a close associate of Lord Altemont. He has been serving the trolls since the Glithval moved us from Tarnikesh. Mallik thrives on crime and villainy. He is a monster.

With the felluca floating freely, ERBY and STEFAN climb on board.

ERBY
My cousin Stefan is most adept at piloting these vessels. We will be quite safe on our trip to the Ox Ford, I assure you that.

ERBY sits at the back of the boat to man the rudder.

ERBY
I think now we may have time to enjoy a glass of 'Troll Whiskey.'

CHLOE ISIS
We don't drink.

VALENTINE
Speak for yourself! I'll have one.

CHLOE ISIS
Rubin...!

ERBY
(laughs)
You think it is like the whiskey you know at home! My friends, it is against the religion of my people to drink the alcoholic beverages you enjoy. What your people call 'Troll Whiskey' is no different than what you call 'tea.' Your people say we sit around and drink tea all day, like a drunkard. I ask you, is it such a bad life if we can? Why work harder than need be?

VALENTINE
I hate tea!

CHLOE ISIS
I'll have a glass.

ERBY
Yes, we will all enjoy a glass, then I will show you a trick you can play at parties when you are home.

ERBY speaks to STEFAN in their native tongue. STEFAN takes a portable grill from a cabinet in the back of the boat and sets it up at the front of the boat, obscured from site. CHLOE ISIS puts her handbag under the seat.

ERBY
Where did you go when we parted ways on the island?

VALENTINE
We ran around until we found our way back to the beach.

ERBY
I see. And you spoke to no one?

VALENTINE

How are we supposed to speak with them?

ERBY
Mallik is a very dangerous creature. I feared for my own life, and once we were separated, I did not expect you to live long without my aid. You can imagine my immense joy when we saw you come running out of the jungle.

CHLOE ISIS watches STEFAN

ERBY
My cousin, Stefan, is almost finished with our drinks. You will enjoy them much.

VALENTINE
It's almost dark. Will we reach the Ox Ford soon.

ERBY
Oh yes, maybe an hour at most. We will stay with my cousin there in the town and locate your coat in the morning.

VALENTINE
I'd prefer to get on with it. Let's find this Bandyboo tonight.

ERBY
Mister Rubin, the shops in Wicked City may stay open long after dark, but I would not expect to see places like this open for business when we arrive. I will be happy to help you transact, but I won't participate in a break in. Outlying authorities are most harsh. Stefan is nearly ready with our drinks.

ERBY speaks to Stefan in their native tongue. STEFAN pours four cups. Two are frothy. He hands them to Chloe and Valentine.

ERBY
We call this welcome drink. This is our custom when there is a visitor to our home. As you see, this is not my home, but you are just as welcome.

VALENTINE is about to sip his drink. CHLOE ISIS grabs it out of his hand and drinks it all in one gulp.

VALENTINE
Hey! That was mine!

CHLOE ISIS
(wiping her mouth)
And it was hot! Ow! You don't even like tea.

VALENTINE

I didn't say I wasn't thirsty. Gimmie yours.

VALENTINE tries to take Chloe's glass, but she drinks this all at once as well.

CHLOE ISIS
Delicious!

ERBY
Worry not, Mr. Rubin, we can make you plenty more.

ERBY points to Stefan and speaks in his native tongue. STEFAN returns to the grill.

ERBY
While we wait, I'd like to show you a trick.

VALENTINE
I don't want to see a trick.

ERBY
This is most good, Mr. Rubin, you will enjoy it. Stand up, please, both of you.

VALENTINE and CHLOE ISIS stand. ERBY takes a long leather string out of his pocket.

ERBY
When you return to your home, you will be able to show this trick to your friends. You can say you learned something from the trolls. Put your hands together.

CHLOE ISIS
You said you didn't like to be called trolls.

ERBY
(hesitates)
No, Miss Chloe. We do not. Put your hands together, please.

CHLOE ISIS
Rubin, I don’t like this.

VALENTINE
We’re on a tiny boat floating down a big river in the dark with a troll about to tie us up before you admit something might be wrong?

CHLOE ISIS
I don’t feel so good.

ERBY
My trick will lighten your spirits, now put your hands together, please.

CHLOE ISIS
My legs are shaking.

VALENTINE

Dahooty is a liar. He betrayed us.

CHLOE ISIS and VALENTINE entwine their hands and ERBY ties them together.

VALENTINE
This trick had better be great.

ERBY
There is only one way for you to get out of this knot, but it offers no resistance.

CHLOE ISIS
I’m having trouble standing up.

ERBY

There is an easy escape.

CHLOE ISIS
I’m sick, Rubin!

VALENTINE
What did you do to her?

CHLOE ISIS falls to her knees.

ERBY
Don’t worry, she will be fine. Even a double dose of the poison I gave you won’t kill her. It will still be easy for you to slip this knot, if you pay attention.

CHLOE ISIS
I saw... I knew he did... Rubin...

VALENTINE kicks at ERBY when he tries to approach. CHLOE ISIS is mostly limp.

ERBY

You think I believe Glithval follow two urchins for a coat? You think I believe you come here with no money? You think Mallik believe? Miss Chloe is asleep now. She’d sink like a rock if we threw you in the water. Why don’t you start talking to me, boy?

VALENTINE

That’s the truth. We came here with nothing. It was supposed to take an afternoon. I don’t even know how we survived this long.

STEFAN draws a knife.

ERBY
My cousin is fast, and if I got a hold of you, he could do awful things before you got free.

VALENTINE
Just leave us alone, man. Let us off at shore and you’ll never see us again.

ERBY
Don’t you think I am tired to death of your whinings and misery? Look at your girlfriend, follow her example.

ERBY and STEFAN speak in their own language.

ERBY
Why is her bag so fat?

VALENTINE
I don’t know what you’re talking about.

ERBY

Stefan will see for himself.

ERBY points at the bag and says something in his own language. STEFAN puts the bag on the bench. He pulls back the folds, struggling to identify the contents...

...Then STEFAN screams and backpeddles, waving his arms, which dislodges the bag from the crocodile that has chomped on Stefan’s hand. Straining to drag unconscious Chloe, VALENTINE jumps, kicking ERBY in the stomach and then in the face. STEFAN shakes off the crocodile and it slides to the back of the boat. STEFAN turns on VALENTINE, who doesn’t realize he’s under attack from two sides. ERBY advances, feeling along the bench until he comes across a pole he brandishes as a club.

DAHOOTY drops from the sky, flapping his wings and clawing Stefan before springing to Erby. Seeing Stefan behind him, VALENTINE spins and kicks Stefan in the chest, knocking him against the hull. VALENTINE kicks Stefan in the chest again, knocking him off balance. STEFAN scrambles with the rail, but is not ready for another kick, knocking him in the water.

ERBY is flailing and swinging his club, but can’t connect with DAHOOTY, who is swooping in to bite and scratch when he can. VALENTINE rolls into ERBY’s legs, knocking him over. VALENTINE gets up quickly and keeps Erby down with a kick

VALENTINE
Dahooty!

VALENTINE holds out his hands for DAHOOTY to nip at when he lands. VALENTINE pauses once to kick ERBY before DAHOOTY bites through the string, freeing Valentine from Chloe. VALENTINE picks up Erby’s club and holds it over his head.

VALENTINE
Get up slow.

ERBY
Should I think you would do it?

VALENTINE
You’re not in control any more.

ERBY
Keep telling yourself that.

DAHOOTY squawks and hops from his perch to attack STEFAN attempting to crawl over the rails. ERBY charges Valentine when he is distracted and they wrestle. DAHOOTY bites off two of Stefan’s fingers. STEFAN screams and falls back in the river. His screams fade quickly away from the fast-moving vessel, and are not noticed by ERBY, who has pinned Valentine on the bow of the ship. VALENTINE still holds the club, but ERBY is wrestling to reclaim it. VALENTINE struggles with Erby and lands a punch in Erby’s face. ERBY relents for a moment and VALENTINE wraps an arm around Erby’s neck, choking him. DAHOOTY lands on Erby’s shoulder. ERBY breaks off from Valentine to protect himself from the bird’s sharp claws and beak. VALENTINE sits up and clubs Erby twice in the head. ERBY falls to his knees and then on his face when VALENTINE hits him a third time.

DAHOOTY
Throw him over.

VALENTINE
I can’t throw him over, that would be murder.

DAHOOTY
He tried to kill you.

VALENTINE
And he failed. If I throw him over now, he’ll drown for sure. I can’t live with that. Watch him.

VALENTINE digs around the boxes in the stern until he returns with a heavy rope.

VALENTINE
I’m going to tie him to the mast. Then we’re going to land this thing and get off the river.

VALENTINE lifts Erby and slams him against the mast. ERBY rouses.

ERBY
(laughs, weak)
Land? How do you propose you’ll do that? You know nothing of piloting a ship, you already told me that much.

VALENTINE
As long as I crash close to shore, you’ll be the only one unable to swim.

VALENTINE wraps the rope around ERBY and pulls it tight.

ERBY
You said you weren’t going to kill me
VALENTINE
I’m certainly not going out of my way to keep you alive. (To DAHOOTY) How far are we from the Ox Ford?

DAHOOTY
Not far. Might miss if you don’t come aground soon.

ERBY
You trust a talking bird? Ibis serve the Illithred. He will bring you to ruin.

VALENTINE ties a knot behind Erby’s back.

VALENTINE

So I should cut you loose and give you a second chance after you poisoned Chloe and tried to throw us overboard? Now everything you have is ours. All your money, all your food, anything you might have on this boat I can sell if we survive to the Ox Ford.

DAHOOTY hops around Chloe.
DAHOOTY
Girl still breathing.

VALENTINE kneels beside Chloe.

VALENTINE
He said the poison wouldn’t kill her. I don’t want to wait around in the boat for her to wake up though.

DAHOOTY
Troll carry girl?

VALENTINE

I’m not cutting his hands loose. We’re done with him. I’ll carry her. Keep your eye out for some place we can get shelter.

DAHOOTY

Forest not far. Dahooty scout ahead.

DAHOOTY exits, flying. VALENTINE returns to Erby.

ERBY
Mallik will be along shortly. The Glithvals won’t keep him away.

VALENTINE
Let him come.

ERBY

I will go to great lengths to stay alive, Mister Rubin.

VALENTINE
Stop calling me that!

VALENTINE rips of a strip of Erby’s jacket and ties it around Erby’s mouth.

FADE TO BLACK

No comments:

Post a Comment